• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Andy on Saltspring Island, BC, Canada

AndySaltspringer

Freshman Member
Hello!

I have just joined the forum as I am embarking on a frame off restoration of a 1961 TR3A. The car belonged to a friend here on Saltspring Island who, in 1982, decided to take his 75,000 miles TR3A, to pieces. Quite why he chose to do this is lost in the mists of time; there wasn't anything mechanically wrong with the car and there was virtually zero corrosion. However, the car was stripped and the tub, minus the hood, trunk and fenders, was carefully hung up in the roof of his garage, ready to be reunited with the frame and engine after a mechanical refresh...

Well you may have guessed how that turned out and 27 years later I found myself walking around under the tub, flashlight in hand, as Dave and I discussed a purchase price. The rebuild stalled and life got in the way so the whole car remained in multiple cardboard boxes for all the intervening years. Dave had, however, been turning the engine over by hand every few month as it sat on a pallet by his work bench, so the engine was free and appeared to be in decent shape. Looking in the boxes it appeared that almost everything was there, some parts still encrusted with grease and road dirt. Dave asked a very fair price and I bought all the parts home and started looking at what I had taken on.

So far I have had the engine apart and had the block cleaned and checked and all the usual bits and pieces replaced; new shells, new rear seal, new rings, new unleaded exhaust valve seats. Various bits have been skimmed and checked and the motor is probably 85% done. I rebuilt the carbs and they are waiting for a couple of final tweaks before being completed. The frame was sand blasted, a couple of out riggers were replaced, and everything painted in high chromate paint usually used on sea planes, so I am hoping it is going to be pretty rust resistant. It certainly seems to be tough stuff.

All the suspension components were cleaned up and painted, new seals and bushings purchased. New wire wheels recently had fresh tires fitted and balanced and are stacked in the car port.

Right now I have a bare frame with the two rebuild leaf springs in place; my blacksmith buddy Jeri bent up a set of replacement leaf clamps, to replace those that had broken or were severely corroded.

Over the next few weeks I am going to be building up all the components on the frame and completing the engine and transmission. It's quite a puzzle at times; Dave basically gave me a large tub filled with all the fasteners he had removed from the car, so there has been a bit of detective work to identify various fixtures and fittings.

I have restored a few motorcycles, but this is the first time I have attempted a car. The aim is to have the frame complete and the engine and transmission installed, sitting on its wheels by Spring. I can then look at the body during the summer.

Although I have some manuals and lots of photographs; I would like to thank in advance any forum members who take the time to generously contribute help and advice; I am pretty sure I am going to have a few questions as I start out on this journey!

If there are any other local BC TR3 owners, please feel free to get in touch.

All the best

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2787__1512441761_24.108.45.128.jpg
    IMG_2787__1512441761_24.108.45.128.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201027_183015.jpg
    20201027_183015.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 52

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
You've got your work cut out for you. Sometimes I think restoring the car is more fun than driving the finished car. Not everyone agrees.

OP
A

AndySaltspringer

Freshman Member
You've got your work cut out for you. Sometimes I think restoring the car is more fun than driving the finished car. Not everyone agrees.

I agree, probably the best aspect of the motorcycle restorations I have completed over the years is the people I have connected with along the way. It's always very nice to finally finish a project, and even better to share the end result with those who watched its progress.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Andy

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice for your TR3A project.
I am in agreement that the rebuilding part is almost as much fun as driving the finished car. I had a similar starting point to your project. Your photos show you are off to a great start on the project.

David

OP
A

AndySaltspringer

Freshman Member
Hello Andy

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice for your TR3A project.
I am in agreement that the rebuilding part is almost as much fun as driving the finished car. I had a similar starting point to your project. Your photos show you are off to a great start on the project.

David

Thanks David. It's going to be a very interesting project, that's for sure. My goal is to take the car from Vancouver to the Jasper Park Lodge in Jasper, Alberta, via the Icefields Parkway, for a fine summer lunch. I will post a picture...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Saltspring is a gorgeous place to be! and sounds like an ambitious and beautiful trip plan

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! Just curious as to what you do for a living
in a place like that?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing your progress - quite an ambitious undertaking!

OP
A

AndySaltspringer

Freshman Member
Welcome! Just curious as to what you do for a living
in a place like that?

Island living comes with its own set of employment challenges. Most of the jobs here are very dependent on the summer visitors so people are pretty creative and have a couple of jobs to see them through the quieter winter months. Houses are expensive and rents are not cheap. Me, I'm am retired so have left the world of work behind...