• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Had to have a covid test today

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Had to get a pre-op covid test today. It felt like my brains were being stirred by that swab on a stick. Then I realized I had nothing to worry about. Results are pending.

If I test negative I go in for my 1st cataract surgery on Dec 9. Second one is scheduled for the 16th. I am feeling kind of uncomfortable about all this. Someone poking sharp objects in my eye somehow is disconcerting. I know that it is one of the safest ops out there but with my luck...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Cataract surgery is probably the simplest, least painful (actually, no pain at all), best value for money (?) surgery you can have. The eye is dilated, you get a mild sedative, you're rolled in. You hear the surgeon explaining every step of the way, you feel nothing, and you're done in about 15 minutes. The result is a great improvement in your vision. I had both eyes done about ten years ago. If I had another pair of eyes that had cataracts, I'd sign up without delay!

Best wishes.
Tom M.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My wife had cataract laser surgery three days ago. Followup visit was good and no problems. I'm squeamish too about my eyes and other body parts. Took me almost three months before I could insert my contact lenses. Don't worry. Its over before you know it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had to get a pre-op covid test today. It felt like my brains were being stirred by that swab on a stick. Then I realized I had nothing to worry about. Results are pending.

If I test negative I go in for my 1st cataract surgery on Dec 9. Second one is scheduled for the 16th. I am feeling kind of uncomfortable about all this. Someone poking sharp objects in my eye somehow is disconcerting. I know that it is one of the safest ops out there but with my luck...

As a former photog, I agree about having some stranger poking around in my eyes. But I had it done in '05. The world will look much clearer and brighter, Dar. Worth the effort. Don't "over-think" it.

In my situation I experienced a detached retina in the left eye a year later, had a dolly retina surgeon from heaven laser weld both retina back into place. Just last January woke up seeing a secondary, refracted image with my right eye. Surgeon said they call it a 'subluxation' of the inter-ocular lens. The IOL has shifted out of alignment. Oddly, it went back into position in late March, that only lasted a few weeks though. Won't be able to have corrective surgery until this virus business subsides.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Never had cataract surgery so, going in a slightly different direction, I would be anxious about any surgery during COVID. When elective procedures were cancelled in March I was two days away from surgery. I have no interest in re-scheduling. Ask me again in a year and maybe.

A cataract is a more urgent but, it is a strange time indeed.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Had my let eye done last December. I am now seeing 20-20 with that eye for the first time in many years.
Had no issues with the op but got a supersize when I got the bill from the anesthesia company. The op was covered by insurance but the anesthesia was not. $7000.00 bill but please send anything the insurance company paid. Filled in a form and sent the check for $187.56 from the insurance company and everything was fine?
The right eye is a different story as it has retina issues.

David

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You want squeamish? My wife has only one eye that works. No way is she willing to have an operation on the remaining eye.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Last year I had both eyes done and nothing to worry about. I am 74 now and it is great and as others have said question are the big deal Medicare covers most all of it but up-grades cost a lot. My supplement ins kicked in $ 2,000.00 per eye and any thing Medicare missed. My cost Zero! I wanted to keep reading glasses as I do a lot of hand work. Driving was the big deal I see inst. and road signs with out glasses now. What I noticed the most was greater side vision I did not know I lost. C 19 should be your only worry but most all offices are heads up. C 19 may still be here a year from now at lest protections in place. Madflyer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My wife had to pay about $1,200.00 for laser upgrade. Medicare doesn't cover anything but the basic surgery. $600 for the hospital. If it wasn't for Social Security and Medicare we'd be living in a trailer now. A singlewide.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I hear ya, Paul. Still paying down the expense of the retina surgery here.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the experience. Doc said he's been watching for three years now, still not ready. Can still hit the target and run the apexes. So, wondering how bad it has to be before the cut.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
You will notice first. My clue was the big interstate exit signs started looking 'different' - blurry, some letters double or shadowed. In your case when the target is no longer a single target will be a good sign.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Gotcha! Thanks.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is about right Doc says Medicare will do it so any time your ready. It comes on so slow, found the loss of road signs when I did mine. Glasses fail to help and sore eyes. Best of luck As for Ins. we would all be under the overpass with out it. I do not know what Doctors pay for golf ball be there in the bill some where. Madflyer

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My clues were Star bursts around lights at night and I had to get so close to interstate signs that I did not have time to read all the sign. Also I was having more trouble with the dash board instruments in my truck.

My Optician said I was near the end of the line with my cataract.
I was hesitating about the operation because that was my remaining Good eye. The other eye has retinal issues that are resistant to treatment and of uncertain origin. The Retina Dr. advised leaving the cataract till I absolutely had to have it done as trauma could have been the cause of the retina problem.

I am 100% happy with the result as I can drive without glasses for the first time in my life. I need glasses for close work and to help with my astigmatism.

David

OP
Darwin

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
It went fine. Versed and valium are remarkable. No pain, no scratchiness after surgery. Me pupil still hasn't gone back to normal size. Removed the left lens from my glasses so I have one eye to see out of tonight. Post-op tomorrow and if all is well the right eye gets done next week. Gonna have to stir the brain again (covid test) before then.