• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The auctioned Walther

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Walther PPK Sean Connery had in the first Bond film has auctioned for over a quarter-million dollars. Somebody has rocks fer brains. Apparently an American, wishing anonymity.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If I'd spent that much on something like that, I'd want to remain anon. as well!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The buyer is not going to shoot his mouth off :rolleye:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sheesh, it doesn't even 'choot:

[FONT=&quot]The weapon includes a Certificate of De-Activation from The London Proof House (rendering it incapable of discharging) and a letter of provenance from BAPTY dated September 2006 “to verify that the accompanying Walther PP, serial number 19174A was used by Sean Connery in the 1962 Eon production Dr No. The original grips have been replaced on a subsequent production” and “Bapty are supplier’s or Arms and military equipment as props to the film and television industry in the UK, Europe and world wide for over forty years, we provided weaponry for every Bond film from Dr. No through To Die Another Day.”[/FONT]

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
He'll poke his eye out!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Fascinating!! I agree the guy has rocks for brains - but clearly he figured out a way to have a quarter million "spending change"... why can't I be that "smart" :smile:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Sheesh, it doesn't even 'choot:
Pretty much all guns that are movie props don't work with real ammo. Especially after Brandon Lee died on set.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Send it to me, for another 1/4 $mill I'll fix that.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not as crazy as it sounds to spend big bucks on certain iconic movie props. One of four pair of Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers were stolen a few years back and the museum that had them offered a $1 Million reward for their return.

This PPK prop, as long as it's authentic, could fetch the buyer even more bucks some day. Maybe not a bad investment considering the iconic status of the movie in question.

What I would really want is the Toyota 2000gt that was driven by the Japanese female agent in "You Only Live Twice". Only two of the convertibles versions were made for the film.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What I would really want is the Toyota 2000gt that was driven by the Japanese female agent in "You Only Live Twice". Only two of the convertibles versions were made for the film.

NOW you're talkin'!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I saw that flick the other night. Figured it was a Toyota. Still can't figure out how they shot into him so many times with obviously live ammo but he was unhurt.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
For those of us that missed out on the PPK auction, here's another chance to engage in old man cosplay. Steve McQueen's Heuer Monaco and Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona chronograph are both coming up for auction:
https://robbreport.com/style/watch-...onaco-to-be-auctioned-at-phillips-1234577389/

im-251428-1.jpg

Fortunately, I'm immune from all this foolishness and if you happen to see me wearing my Barracuta jacket, Clark's Desert boots, replica Rolex Submariner and carrying my PPK-S (a fancier one than Bond's) it really has nothing to do with trying to be like McQueen and Connery

waltherRKEinsert.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Speaking of Auctions, a front page story in this morning's paper: Ansel Adams' "Moonrise over Hernandez," one of his most famous photos, up for auction. Expected to fetch $1 million or more.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Fortunately, I'm immune from all this foolishness and if you happen to see me wearing my Barracuta jacket, Clark's Desert boots, replica Rolex Submariner and carrying my PPK-S (a fancier one than Bond's) it really has nothing to do with trying to be like McQueen and Connery

james_bond_1.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: And here I thought Rick would be more a traditionalist: Plain blued PPK in .32 from Ulm and an Omega Seamaster! Not some 'modern' S&W lookalike and a counterfeit Rolex. :devilgrin:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
:lol: And here I thought Rick would be more a traditionalist: Plain blued PPK in .32 from Ulm and an Omega Seamaster! Not some 'modern' S&W lookalike and a counterfeit Rolex. :devilgrin:

If I hadn't spent all my money on Healeys I could have afforded a real Omega Seamaster and Ulm PPK!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In all seriousness, I've a friend who has an Ulm PPK and the story of its acquisition would break your heart.

Country flag
I saw that flick the other night. Figured it was a Toyota. Still can't figure out how they shot into him so many times with obviously live ammo but he was unhurt.

I noticed once when watching the chase scene with thatcar, when they showed over the girls’ shoulder as she “drove”, the speedo andtach were at zero… Engine roaring and scenery changing none the less.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, probably a broken cable.:wink-new:

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was able to carry a ppk for a few months of combat operations in 2004. People seeing it would ask a million questions, mostly because they were all marines and, well, marines are curious. I can 100% say without a doubt, it was the most worthless gun I've ever shot and horribly inaccurate!!! You'd have a better chance of hitting someone by throwing the physical gun at them than but using the tiny sights and squeezing the trigger to a surprise break.