• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Appliance Repair

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The broiler went out on our oven. Ordered a new element, I got it, had to remove the back cover to install properly, still no go. With the back cover off I could see the "brain" or motherboard, look like a couple of the soldered joints were corroded/burnt out.

I pulled the thing, re-soldered the suspect joints, and now we are cooking with gas, er....electrons.

No big whoop to many of you guys I am sure, but I am not an electrical whiz by any means, and not even very good with a soldering iron, first circuit board repair I have tried that ever worked.

Would any repairman do a fix like this anymore, assume all would put in a new part, mark up the price by 50-100%, charge 50 for the call and 100 put it in.

Anyway, glad it worked, wish they could all be that simple.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Congratulations! Feels good to effect a repair and know you saved a ton of money, doesn't it? I had a similar situation a couple years back with my Bosch Dishwasher. It stopped heating the water. I did a little internet research and discovered a certain joint on the board was prone to failing. Took out the board - saw the bad joint and re-soldered it. Viola! A working dishwasher!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Done same here with more than one gizmo. Had a near-by lightning hit years back, it took out a microwave oven. Same deal as seen above, it was a fuseable link on the control board that had fried in that case. Bridged it and got another few years out of that thing. Replaced a table motor in one, a magnetron in another. Recently, our 32" TV konked out. Went to a local big-box and got a replacement "smart" one. Then went on line to find a power supply circuit board replacement for the first TV. That one had been gifted to us, so no money loss. With 25 bucks and a few minutes with a screwdriver it was ressurected. Now it lives in the garage, it doubles as the screen I watch old '50's shoot-em-up re-runs and a monitor for servicing clients' computers on the bench. I grew up with an EE as a dad, learned soldering technique as a kid. Never aspired to make a living with the knowledge of electronics but glad of the things the Old Man taught me. He had the philosophy he wanted to raise self-sufficient kids: "Domestic survival skills".

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Soldering irons fall into the category of "low-use and high value" tools. A small one to do fine electronic soldering, and a big one to solder bigger bits like brass. When you need one, the only option is replace the part - and the savings are significant. My wife, pre-kids, was very active in creating stained glass, and she has a honkin' big iron! (I've been pushing her to get into it again, but the idea of glass shards and kids makes her nervous!)

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Another invaluable tool in DIY appliance repair is YouTube. That and a quality appliance repair parts supplier that is local to you. Among other things, I have repaired both a dryer and a dishwasher with new thermal fuses that cost about 25 bucks. That expense and a couple of hours of research and fiddling are well worth it. Small victories!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Soldering pencils get run on the Variac when doin' electronics repair, the two guns (Weller, both. One older than I am!) for auto wiring and "bigger" stuff. Sweat copper with a Bernz-O-Matic. Sometimes use that on intransigent fasteners... :devilgrin:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I wouldn't know where to start to repair one of those appliances. Even if I did, I couldn't wrestle the appliance out of its spot wedged in against the wall.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Even if I did, I couldn't wrestle the appliance out of its spot wedged in against the wall.

I need to take apart a door FRAME to move my washing machine. And pick up the dryer which sits is on top of the washer. At least the door frame has "quick releases" on it.
I am planning major (massive!) renovations in my apartment for later this year and moving all the walls around the washing machine is top priority.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The internal light in our Toshiba microwave went out a couple weeks ago. Not worth the effort of disassembly to replace it. If the magnetron or the turntable motor konk out, that's when the light will get replacement.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The internal light in our Toshiba microwave went out a couple weeks ago. Not worth the effort of disassembly to replace it. If the magnetron or the turntable motor konk out, that's when the light will get replacement.

but how can you tell what you put in? :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I put my cold, half-filled coffee cup in it, silly! :excitement:

see I open the microwave and discover yesterday's cold half filled coffee. :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's been known to happen too... "Where'd I leave my coffee cup?!?"