• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new member in BC Canada

Twit

Country flag
hello all,

First off the handle is from my over 40's rugby club the Twilighters. Not playing right now due to COVID but will hopefully be back on the pitch in the fall of 2020 then touring to Japan. I'll be 62.

I just rolled a 1961 TR4 into my garage to join my 1976 Spitfire 1500. This car has been the project of previous owner. He was a Lucas rep and brought it up from New York to Ontario Canada 30 years ago. He then brought it out to Vernon, BC Canada. He completely redid the body to better than factory. He had boxes of NOS parts he collected but he never reassembled it. Engine and tranny are rebuilt and the only things in the car other than the rugs, panels and seats. He passed away and now I have started the build. Just got to my home garage yesterday.
So I'm looking for advice and knowledge. I have already figured out from your forum that the blue wrap on the wiring is correct - Lucas Blue. So thought I'd join. I'm capable but having not torn this car down myself there is going to be stuff I just don't know or can't identify.
I'm going to pull out the tranny as it needs an overdrive. Windows aren't in so door panels need to come off. So I'll be sitting with a clean true body and the motor in(never been started). Its going to be a cool project to get me through COVID and I'm documenting it on Facebook.
Today while trying to stow all the parts I could not find a place for the radiator (looked like it had been primed and packed away 20 years ago). So I cleaned it up, painted it and installed it - and so the build begins.

OP
Twit

Twit

Country flag
so first ask for advice.

Motor has been rebuilt but has been sitting unstarted. i was told they would roll it manually periodically. I want to roll it over by hand to keep it ready. I checked the dipstick and there is no oil in it. I'm thinking I should add oil then maybe put transmission fluid down the sparkplug holes then roll it over manually in a couple days. Does that sound right?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Need to go to Triumph forum and you'll get plenty of answers. I would add a non-detergent oil for storing and first intial startup, and trans fluid OK in cylinders, but most any oil will do.