• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fun with a smart phone!

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
My wife bought a new Smart phone last year, still learning all it can do!! Her "techno" buddy told her how to take a picture of something, and it
would identify it--Loads of fun! Like a 10 year old with a new toy on Christmas morning. So she ran around most of the morning taking pictures, and
letting the Smart phone identify it!! I think this staying at home stuff is beginning to wear on her!

Pic of the Nash Metropolitan (identified)---The cat (tabby)--the dog (chihuahua/cocker spaniel/other)--the gas stove (Wedgewood)--the antique rocking
chair (Stickley)--all the flowers in the garden--The 2 pet rabbits. (mix). For me--the best and only use of her Smart Phone is when we go
somewhere (She drives--I don't drive anymore--could if I had to!), I have the Smart Phone in the mapping feature--looking at the traffic, and
figuring out "escape" routes--------I'm a real "Luddite"--(google--"luddite movement"--wikipedia),---rejecting modern technology--I'm only happy with a tool in my hand,
and something to work on! Or at least the old "you need a bigger hammer"--

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My wife bought a new Smart phone last year, still learning all it can do!! Her "techno" buddy told her how to take a picture of something, and it
would identify it--Loads of fun! Like a 10 year old with a new toy on Christmas morning. So she ran around most of the morning taking pictures, and
letting the Smart phone identify it!! I think this staying at home stuff is beginning to wear on her!

Pic of the Nash Metropolitan (identified)---The cat (tabby)--the dog (chihuahua/cocker spaniel/other)--the gas stove (Wedgewood)--the antique rocking
chair (Stickley)--all the flowers in the garden--The 2 pet rabbits. (mix). For me--the best and only use of her Smart Phone is when we go
somewhere (She drives--I don't drive anymore--could if I had to!), I have the Smart Phone in the mapping feature--looking at the traffic, and
figuring out "escape" routes--------I'm a real "Luddite"--(google--"luddite movement"--wikipedia),---rejecting modern technology--I'm only happy with a tool in my hand,
and something to work on! Or at least the old "you need a bigger hammer"--

Which app does she Use?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm a Luddite, other than medicine, not into most modern technology! Back in the day things were much slower and understandable :encouragement:. We have 2 "Smart" phones and all I use mine for is to make phone calls! only got two as it was a package deal! Wife loves hers and uses it for everything, I wish I had my old flip phone back. I even asked the guy at the phone center if he could re-activate it and he looked at me like I had two heads! :highly_amused: It would fit in my shirt pocket, this thing is like a small computer, don't like it one bit. Oh well, such is life, remembering the good times, as they were much simpler and more fun! :rolleyes2:

Country flag
There are times when I long for the days when interoffice "email" meant typing it up, printing it off, shoving in an interoffice mail envelope and letting the company mail room deliver it, then having a response in a couple days. Now with the cell and IM and email I get people who get angry if you don't respond almost as soon as they hit enter to send it. Had one person who called to tell me he was sending an email at the same time and when would I get back to him since it was "highly critical". Was, to him, as a testing question... Not to anyone else..

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I do have to say that while many things about smart phones p*ss me off that I wouldn't be without it - not just for connection to family etc (BTW I have all push notifications off except weather and it won't receive anything after 11 or before 8 am). I also really don't do social media any more than I have to.

OTOH I use it constantly with my cars - taking pictures, looking up specs, asking questions to name a few - and I don't even have car related apps. Yes I could do without but it would be much much harder.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When my nephew got his, he would go to bars and change the TV channels. Bought an app, pretty cool until you get caught.