Thread: Fun with a smart phone!

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fun with a smart phone!

My wife bought a new Smart phone last year, still learning all it can do!! Her "techno" buddy told her how to take a picture of something, and it
    would identify it--Loads of fun! Like a 10 year old with a new toy on Christmas morning. So she ran around most of the morning taking pictures, and
    letting the Smart phone identify it!! I think this staying at home stuff is beginning to wear on her!

Pic of the Nash Metropolitan (identified)---The cat (tabby)--the dog (chihuahua/cocker spaniel/other)--the gas stove (Wedgewood)--the antique rocking
    chair (Stickley)--all the flowers in the garden--The 2 pet rabbits. (mix). For me--the best and only use of her Smart Phone is when we go
    somewhere (She drives--I don't drive anymore--could if I had to!), I have the Smart Phone in the mapping feature--looking at the traffic, and
    figuring out "escape" routes--------I'm a real "Luddite"--(google--"luddite movement"--wikipedia),---rejecting modern technology--I'm only happy with a tool in my hand,
    and something to work on! Or at least the old "you need a bigger hammer"--

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Fun with a smart phone!

My wife got a smart watch a month back; even got a book to learn to operate it. Not for me.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My wife has one too. Very handy. But one in a family is enough.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My wife bought a new Smart phone last year, still learning all it can do!! Her "techno" buddy told her how to take a picture of something, and it
    would identify it--Loads of fun! Like a 10 year old with a new toy on Christmas morning. So she ran around most of the morning taking pictures, and
    letting the Smart phone identify it!! I think this staying at home stuff is beginning to wear on her!

Pic of the Nash Metropolitan (identified)---The cat (tabby)--the dog (chihuahua/cocker spaniel/other)--the gas stove (Wedgewood)--the antique rocking
    chair (Stickley)--all the flowers in the garden--The 2 pet rabbits. (mix). For me--the best and only use of her Smart Phone is when we go
    somewhere (She drives--I don't drive anymore--could if I had to!), I have the Smart Phone in the mapping feature--looking at the traffic, and
    figuring out "escape" routes--------I'm a real "Luddite"--(google--"luddite movement"--wikipedia),---rejecting modern technology--I'm only happy with a tool in my hand,
    and something to work on! Or at least the old "you need a bigger hammer"--
    Which app does she Use?
    Maynard
    94 Jaguar XJS 6.0 V12
    91 Jaguar XJS (RIP)
    86 Jaguar XJ6
    78MGB
    67MGB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

I'm a Luddite, other than medicine, not into most modern technology! Back in the day things were much slower and understandable . We have 2 "Smart" phones and all I use mine for is to make phone calls! only got two as it was a package deal! Wife loves hers and uses it for everything, I wish I had my old flip phone back. I even asked the guy at the phone center if he could re-activate it and he looked at me like I had two heads! It would fit in my shirt pocket, this thing is like a small computer, don't like it one bit. Oh well, such is life, remembering the good times, as they were much simpler and more fun!

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

How good it feels, the hand of an old friend! Longfellow

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

There are times when I long for the days when interoffice "email" meant typing it up, printing it off, shoving in an interoffice mail envelope and letting the company mail room deliver it, then having a response in a couple days. Now with the cell and IM and email I get people who get angry if you don't respond almost as soon as they hit enter to send it. Had one person who called to tell me he was sending an email at the same time and when would I get back to him since it was "highly critical". Was, to him, as a testing question... Not to anyone else..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

I do have to say that while many things about smart phones p*ss me off that I wouldn't be without it - not just for connection to family etc (BTW I have all push notifications off except weather and it won't receive anything after 11 or before 8 am). I also really don't do social media any more than I have to.

OTOH I use it constantly with my cars - taking pictures, looking up specs, asking questions to name a few - and I don't even have car related apps. Yes I could do without but it would be much much harder.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

When my nephew got his, he would go to bars and change the TV channels. Bought an app, pretty cool until you get caught.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual (parts car),
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.