• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kitchen Smelling Great!!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Wife's baking pies, so far Pumpkin and Apple. I asked what's next and was told wait until she makes them! Typical answer, in other words, keep out of the way, NO you can't have samples. :highly_amused:

I did help though, I ran the automatic apple peeler. :rolleyes2:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds delicious! I'm about to start a Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Pie. Had to run out and get brown sugar for it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mince meat (my favorite!) and apple pies in the works here. Along with makings for corn bread dressing. I'll be frying the turkey Thursday morning.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Only thing I make is applesauce. Variety of apples, lots of cinnamon, some honey and sugar - not too much - and a few drops of vanilla extract. Overnight in the fridge and its perfect. Too bad we won't have the family for Thanksgiving this year. I also make very good meatless chili but my wife is such a great cook that I don't het to cook more than once or twice a year. My job is doing the dishes.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here, SWMBO baked three types of cookies - Chocolate Chip, Sugar Cookies and peanut butter. House smelled wonderful!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Aforementioned Pa. Dutch apple pie, just outta the oven. Place smells amazing.

dutchpie2.JPG

Attachments

• DutchApplePie1.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 43

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Due to Covid, it's just the two of us today for the feast. Getting set up to fry the turkey. Cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with brown sugar, etc., cranberry sauce (fresh cranberries, of course) - all put together and ready for the oven. Already someone (!) has gotten into the apple pie, but I'm told by that someone (!) that it's tasty.

Happy Turkey Day, all!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mickey, That sounds like our place! Just the wife and I, first time without a house full of people forever. She is still cooking a full meal with all the dressings. The bird is only half the size we normally get and that will last too long! But being thankful for having our health and blessed with food on the table, sorry to say, so many can't say that. :dispirited:

Due to Covid, it's just the two of us today for the feast. Getting set up to fry the turkey. Cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with brown sugar, etc., cranberry sauce (fresh cranberries, of course) - all put together and ready for the oven. Already someone (!) has gotten into the apple pie, but I'm told by that someone (!) that it's tasty.

Happy Turkey Day, all!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We usually fry two or three - maybe four turkeys at a time. Today will be only one; will do a couple for Christmas. Hate to buy the peanut oil and not do several birds.

Actually, Thanksgiving dinner is just a precursor. We freeze whatever meat is left over, and boil the carcass down along with celery, onion, garlic, etc. and then pick out the bones, skin and cartilage and freeze the broth for soup, tetrazzini, or whatever for winter fare.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm loading the smoker up now with the turkey, a ham, a chicken, and 2 tri tips... pics to follow

Dam, dude! Can't wait fer th' pix! Wish we had Smell-O-Vision. Or Scratch-n-Sniff! :lol:

We're hunker'd down here, just us two. No bird this year, doin' porkchops on the charcoal, smashed spuds with pre-packaged pork gravy,, steamed fresh veggies & some dago red wine. Will try a slice of the pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert, then go torpid on th' couch. :wink:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As we do every year we cooked the turkey on the charcoal grill. It was just my wife and me with our daughter.
5C4CAE2A-1295-447A-90B3-43C2CCE2D45D.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As we do every year we cooked the turkey on the charcoal grill. It was just my wife and me with our daughter.
View attachment 66257

Weber kettle!! We do everything from burgers 'n dogs to smoke ribs on ours. The chops for last eve's dinner were done in one.

How long did the bird take?

Fare for two:
tday1.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good eye doc! I’m a Webber addict.
It took about 2 1/2 hours to cook. We use our grill year round.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good eye doc! I’m a Webber addict.
It took about 2 1/2 hours to cook. We use our grill year round.

Haven't tried a turkey (yet), but smoke ribs for about six hours. salmon a bit less. Our Weber is the main cooking device, next to the oven just recently. As virus boredom relief I've taken up baking, learning about doughs and suchlike. Along with the new "film-less" camera.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Only three of us this year. Four turkey thighs. We don't like the breasts - too dry and tasteless. Sweet potatoes with maple syrup and butter, sauteed brussel sprouts, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, sauteed carrots and parsnips. Glasses of Riesling and an apple crumb pie with Friendly's vanilla ice cream for dessert. Table picture attached.Thanksgiving-Covid.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Only three of us this year. Four turkey thighs. We don't like the breasts - too dry and tasteless. Sweet potatoes with maple syrup and butter, sauteed brussel sprouts, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, sauteed carrots and parsnips. Glasses of Riesling and an apple crumb pie with Friendly's vanilla ice cream for dessert. Table picture attached.View attachment 66281

Nice!

But if you've had a properly cooked deep fried turkey, you'd change your tune about dry and tasteless breasts. I inject thoroughly with a mixture of strained Italian salad dressing and hot sauce. White meat turns out fantastic!

I just cooked down the carcass with onion, celery, carrots, bay leaves, and black peppercorns. Perfect stock for soup this winter!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Neighbor brought us two plates full with turkey, beans & rice and potato salad. He's a chef, worked at a local high-end Italian cuisine and steakhouse for years. Hasn't lost his touch! I'd put up a photo but... th' food's GONE! *burp* :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only three of us this year. Four turkey thighs. We don't like the breasts - too dry and tasteless. Sweet potatoes with maple syrup and butter, sauteed brussel sprouts, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, sauteed carrots and parsnips. Glasses of Riesling and an apple crumb pie with Friendly's vanilla ice cream for dessert. Table picture attached.View attachment 66281

Nice, PD! Our wine was red but the dessert was the same.