• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Girling Rear Brakes

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am finishing up the restoration of my 54 TR-2 Long Door. I found out, while working on the rear brakes that the previous owner had upgraded to a Girling Rear end. I have new cylinders, pads partially installed. I installed the upper retainer pin with spring and washers. Question.Looking at the Moss catalog I see a different retainer with it's pin. How is this attached and where?

Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
With the 10 inch brake drums, the shoes are held in place with the arrangement of the springs that hold the shoes in place together on the adjuster. The 10 inch does not use keepers with a rod and cup. Instead they only have a small stud on a screw from the back about in the center of the shoe that turns in and out with a felt pad on it to get the shoes perpendicular in the drum
steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Do I need those retaining clips, Moss shows 2 per pad, rather then the keepers with a rod,spring and caps? I have the 10" drums. I see the screws, but the felt pads are history.

You don't have a pic of this setup do you> None of the manuals or catalogs show it.

I have the pads and springs back installed and are waiting for the felt covers before I re-attach the brake drums. Is it correct for the brake pads to lean outwards? Is it just the drum that alighns them?

Dick

Last edited:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I looked and do not seem to have a picture either. They used the 10 inch 57, 58, and I think part of 59. There really is no keeper just the stud with a holding nut and the felt pad that is often missing. Anyways, when the springs are installed correctly in behind the shoes, the shoes with bend inward and can be pushed out with the little screw and felt until the shoes fit nice. At least that is how I remember it.

If you have not put the springs on in behind the shoes, place both shoes with the springs in back on the floor then grab the shoes with both hands and stretch the entire assembly at the same time over the axle lug nuts while keeping outward pressure so everything does not fall loose . You probably will need to fettle with it some to get it over axle

Does the Moss catalogue show a picture of the springs? I have seen a picture somewhere, but it has been awhile, and I will look through my books. Do you have a large original copy of the tr2 and tr3 book that should have a picture? Usually the shoes themselves are too large to fit nicely in a 10 inch drum probably because the shoes are aftermarket; you might need to fix that.

Keep us posted steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have the springs installed on the front of the pads , not the back. Now I see how that stud, with the felt pad, can be used to push the pads outward to alighn them.

Thanks again, Steve

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Dick did you get the brake problem figured out? I am curious if I remember correctly. I consider the forum therapy for a declining memory and vicarious living to help stimulate my cognitive place in the universe.
steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve,

Your memory is excellent.I took those spring pins off relocated the pad springs to the back and now I am just waiting for the 4 pads to put on the adjusting screw. Those pins were also keeping the emergency brake from working.

Dick

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve,

Your memory is excellent.I took those spring pins off relocated the pad springs to the back and now I am just waiting for the 4 pads to put on the adjusting screw. Those pins were also keeping the emergency brake from working.

Dick
Steve, With a Girling rear end, how do I adjust the rear brakes? No problem with the fronts.

Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Turn the large square bolt on the back of the backing plate. This moves the pointed cam to expand or shorten the distance and open or close the shoes. make sure you make a full turn so you are not stuck on a high spot of the came.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Turn the large square bolt on the back of the backing plate. This moves the pointed cam to expand or shorten the distance and open or close the shoes. make sure you make a full turn so you are not stuck on a high spot of the came.
Thanks,

Dick