• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Original Door Pocket

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
I am preparing to re-do the door pockets in my 60 BE.
I have had the car for many decades just getting the restoration completed. I of course did not take photos nor can I locate my notes of the condition of the door pockets when I removed them.
As you can see from the photos these are the original pocket panel doors. Original fiber type board with cardboard attached for the material to capture the "indent".
What I can't recall is how the metal supports on top of the pocket doors fit. As you can see I had them powder coated thinking they fit over the black door skin material onto the board. I have seen photos of newer restored cars that appear to have the material
go over the metal support such that it is not seen.

Does anyone have an original BE who can inform how the fit is? Or have knowledge of how it fit in original cars?

I will keep and repair these panels and I'd like to have them fitted as original.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 151

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I bought new pockets from BugeyeGuy. They slide into place and do not require screws. A simple replacement. NFI.

Desert Rat

Country flag
What you show in picture 2 is correct, the metal frame sits on the fiber board and the vinyl goes over the metal.
Mine are restored originals.

Attachments

• pocket copy.jpg
    pocket copy.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 151
OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
Thanks Desert Rat,
Your photo refreshes my recollection on the mounting, how far down the other side does the material extend if at all?
I was thinking of painting the backside black but it looks like there was no paint on my originals.
If it extends to the back it must have been cut to fit the metal sliders?

Thanks so much.

Desert Rat

Country flag
How it left the factory I couldnā€™t tell you, mine were so dried out and shrunk up it was hard to tell. My vinyl came pre-cut in the interior kit from AH Spares and extends pretty far down the back with the sides and bottom trimmed around the metal brackets.

Thanks Desert Rat,
Your photo refreshes my recollection on the mounting, how far down the other side does the material extend if at all?
I was thinking of painting the backside black but it looks like there was no paint on my originals.
If it extends to the back it must have been cut to fit the metal sliders?

Thanks so much.

OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
Got it! Sounds like you also have an original car. I drove my car in high school, some 50 years ago. It lay fallow in a garage for decades until I had the time to get it restored again. Sadly, the original rubber floor mats were a bit thin to keep, they are NLA as you know.
I have the original Hardura from trunk and rear sill, it is still usable but is weathered and dry so I may replace with kit from Moss, Bugeye Guy (a bit pricy) or other, any recommendation on vendor for that?
I will use the original rear view mirror which you know was white plastic as compared with the replacement black metal sold by dealers now.

Thanks for your assistance. Glad to be a member of we happy, happy few, BE owners.

Desert Rat

Country flag
Itā€™s very original, never modified just driven maintained.
My dad bought my car in 1961 from his friend who bought it new a year earlier. My dad had a green 59 Bugeye that he wrecked so he bought his friends car.
I recommend the Bugeye Guy hardura kits, thatā€™s what I have and found his stuff to better fitting than the Moss offering but yes, itā€™s more expensive. My rubber mats were all but gone by the late 60s, the desert heat destroyed them.
I donā€™t believe a white plastic rear view mirror is original, period pictures of my car show the black mirror on a chrome stem like sold today, Terry Horlerā€™s book shows the same.

Last edited:
OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
This is interesting. I too am the second owner of my car. When I got it in 1966 it had the white mirror mounted on a chrome stem. The plastic has deteriorated over the years, a bit crumbly, I intended to repaint it. I ordered a replacement from Frog Eye Spares, they shipped the black with chrome stem in Heritage packaging.
I wonder if the white was a version used at some point as replacement or if stock of black became thin? It is of course possible that the mirror was replaced for some reason using the white as a substitute? It seems to have a smaller glass than the Heritage one from FE Spares.

As to Hardura, I am also looking at the Hardura kits from FE Spares and AH Spares. Does anyone have experience with either of those products?

Thanks

carolien

Freshman Member
Country flag
Yes, rear view mirror was black on chrome stem. It's not the smooth black paint, but the same as the wiper motor. I forget what's it's called: hammered maybe? You can buy hammered spray paint to get the look.

DugMoney

Country flag
I'm sending my Bugeye to "Bugeyeguy" this spring 2021 - I'm having him redo my interior and I just took my pocket doors out a few weeks ago....Here is a pic of what the original door pockets would look like without the vinyl. Not sure if this is what your looking for or if this will help you out. Take a look.

Attachments

• doorpockets1.jpg
    doorpockets1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 130
  • doorpockets2.jpg
    doorpockets2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 121
OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
Dug, Thanks for the pics. Very helpful, those inform as to the original structure. I couldn't recall if the metal bar went on top or under the upholstery. I had mine powder coated out of an abundance of caution. At least they will be a smooth fitting for the material covering on top.

iceman

Freshman Member
Country flag
Rat, from what I remember of my BE I had in HS in 1960 was the mirror back was crinkled black. I seem to recall you could replace the mirror glass while the back and glass was surrounded by a removable frame.

Dscarson

Freshman Member
Country flag
Got it! Sounds like you also have an original car. I drove my car in high school, some 50 years ago. It lay fallow in a garage for decades until I had the time to get it restored again. Sadly, the original rubber floor mats were a bit thin to keep, they are NLA as you know.
I have the original Hardura from trunk and rear sill, it is still usable but is weathered and dry so I may replace with kit from Moss, Bugeye Guy (a bit pricy) or other, any recommendation on vendor for that?
I will use the original rear view mirror which you know was white plastic as compared with the replacement black metal sold by dealers now.

Thanks for your assistance. Glad to be a member of we happy, happy few, BE owners.
I have had great luck with Austin Healey spares in England. Their hardura looks like the originals.