• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Idyllic Video

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It is always a mistake to idealize earlier days but there is no denying it was a slower quieter time. Also I think I saw only one car - everything else is commercial.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JP - that is quite a wonderful film. Thanks for posting it. Barry's music is a pleasant change from the usual "rinky dinky piano" often used for silent films.

I can't help but thinking ... all those barges full of coal. The thick, gritty, London fogs were caused by burning all that coal in homes and power plants.

The "Great Fog" of 1952 led to so many illnesses and accidents on the roads, that in 1956 Parliament restricted coal use in urban areas, homes converted to "electric fires", and generating stations gradually moved from coal to oil.

Regardless, that is a wonderful film. Thanks!
Tom M.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - that is quite a wonderful film. Thanks for posting it. Barry's music is a pleasant change from the usual "rinky dinky piano" often used for silent films.

I can't help but thinking ... all those barges full of coal. The thick, gritty, London fogs were caused by burning all that coal in homes and power plants.

The "Great Fog" of 1952 led to so many illnesses and accidents on the roads, that in 1956 Parliament restricted coal use in urban areas, homes converted to "electric fires", and generating stations gradually moved from coal to oil.

Regardless, that is a wonderful film. Thanks!
Tom M.

exactly, in the movie you can't see the towers in the background - likely because of smog not fog as up close everything is crisp. I find the people lining up to wave (at the back of 'gardens' and on bridges) fascinating as it must be the camera - making me wonder if this is part of a bigger project?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Terrific stuff. Although the colorization is so-so, I love how they smooth things out with a modern sort of frame rate.
There are similar ones of Paris and New York.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
How was that barge propelled? I saw a horse pulling it at a couple of points but there was no towpath for much of the length.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
How was that barge propelled? I saw a horse pulling it at a couple of points but there was no towpath for much of the length.

Paul - there are several barges shown. One is even a steam-powered barge. There are a couple scenes showing the barge man using a pole to keep the barge moving. Also a scene showing a barge man tossing the horse line back to the barge. I think barges used various means of propulsion as they worked their way through the canals.

Ever hear the expression "Never give up the punt to save the pole"?

Tom M.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Never heard that expression.
We have barges that come into the west branch of Stamford harbor. One got loose a couple of years ago and damaged a lot of boats.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
He gave up the punt (and his lady and his dog!) to save the pole.

2010_12_15_11_07_12.jpg