• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Queen's Gambit - anyone watching

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Anyone watching this on netflix? I am not a big drama show guy so SWMBO encouraged me to watch with her.

7 part mini-series set in the 60's about an orphan with an unbelievable talent for chess. Equal parts disturbing/ fascinating/ cringe worthy/ etc. The attention to detail is very good. A number of friends are also watching and even my most ardent binging friends can only handle one episode at a time.

anyone?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
SWMBO and I watched it just about nonstop a few weeks ago - great story!

iani

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'd never have believed a programme about Chess could be so interesting, my wife & I both enjoyed it, watched over two evenings.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Watched all the episodes in two nights. Terrific story, even if you know nothing about chess. After watching, I pulled out the old chess set and practiced some moves, then signed on to Chess.com. Played against the computer against bot beginners and beat them all. They were deliberately terrible. Moved up in class and finally won a game and moved up from 800 to 965. Then lost a few against a "Beth Harmon" International master, but played tough and hung in there for a while before losing and back down to an 885. Then on to live action. I played an 886 live player from Rumania - and suffered the worst beating I ever took on a chess board. A series of blunders and I was checkmated in less than a dozen moves. I have to be one of the worst players ever. Years ago, I played an 11 year old girl, daughter of a friend. She beat me easily three games running.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Watched all the episodes in two nights. Terrific story, even if you know nothing about chess. After watching, I pulled out the old chess set and practiced some moves, then signed on to Chess.com. Played against the computer against bot beginners and beat them all. They were deliberately terrible. Moved up in class and finally won a game and moved up from 800 to 965. Then lost a few against a "Beth Harmon" International master, but played tough and hung in there for a while before losing and back down to an 885. Then on to live action. I played an 886 live player from Rumania - and suffered the worst beating I ever took on a chess board. A series of blunders and I was checkmated in less than a dozen moves. I have to be one of the worst players ever. Years ago, I played an 11 year old girl, daughter of a friend. She beat me easily three games running.

sounds like great fun actually! and in terms of being 'one of the worst' - trust me I am so far behind you in the line that you won't even see me. :grin:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Playing a 833 player tonight I lost 4 out of 5 games and I'm now a 545. I stink. I lose concentration and BANG - there goes my Queen.