• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fun with phones.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ever happen to you?

Phone hasn't rung for several days.

You make a call to someone, hang up, and within a minute you get a junk call. Then another junk call.

You begin to think that the junk caller bots are constantly trolling millions of lines, to see when they're busy. Busy? Then they pounce soon as the line is free.

hmmmm

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I got a call today from the Social Security Administration. They wanted me to call.
Wonder what they wanted? They already have my number. Maybe they wanted my hat size, right?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I got a call today from the Social Security Administration. They wanted me to call.
Wonder what they wanted? They already have my number. Maybe they wanted my hat size, right?

Tomorrow: "We're sorry, but you didn't call us back. Your Railroad Retirement Benefits will be stopped immediately."

:playful:

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not phone calls, but I kept getting emails that said that my Chase account would be canceled unless I clicked a link. I hoped they would cancel it, since my only account with Chase at that time was a mortgage. Sadly, they did not cancel it.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - good to see you back at BCF.

After a year of searching, I finally found the "new" house. I'll email details.

Best to you and Peg.
Tom M.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And here, ladies and gentlemen, is the latest episode of Fun with phones!

On the phone with the mortgage company for around 45 minutes. Hung up, and within one minute received two calls from "toll free number" and "Jewett City CT".

Ignored them both. No messages.

Ten minutes later, three more calls, also from unrecognized numbers. One even started with a V - I googled it, and found it linked to a number in Turkey.

Fifteen minutes later, another from Jewett City CT.

Didn't use phone since last Sunday. I'm on the phone today for 45 minutes, hang up, and then get six calls within an hour?

hmmmmm

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
yesterday I got a legit call from CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) we have had a VISA card with them for years - but only the card no bank account no nothing.

Every six months they call to try to upsell stuff - yesterday was the day. If they could have done anything else to make themselves sound more like a scam I don't know what it was. Long pause before they started talking, overly friendly, sounding out my name - on and on - I hung up.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave - good to see you back at BCF.

After a year of searching, I finally found the "new" house. I'll email details.

Best to you and Peg.
Tom M.

Tom, I just wanted to let you know that one reason that I have not been here much lately is that for some reason I must turn off VPN to log in here. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dave

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom, I just wanted to let you know that one reason that I have not been here much lately is that for some reason I must turn off VPN to log in here. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dave

Hi Dave - just wondering, why you need to use VPN? VPN often makes many sites unusable, as the sites usually look for proof you're really using the IP you've used in the past. Some people use VPN to disguise their location, or to visit websites (like newspapers) limited to specific countries. Not something most people leave on all the time.

Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I use Opera for everything but I have noticed that a few sites will not work with Opera. It is said to have a built in VPN and does limit adverts.

David