• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Remember when?

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
141682d9-28d7-4370-ba86-1edb36184927-jpeg.1723827

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
In 1955, haircuts went up to 85 cents. That's when I quit. I haven't paid for a haircut since then. I have a Playtex hair cutter. Do it myself about once a month. Who knows how much money I saved. Probably more than enough to buy my TR6.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A couple of years ago I reminded my barber that there used to be a shop right across the street from where he is now where haircuts were 35 cents since it was outside the city limits where they were 50 cents. This was just as I handed him $25. In consideration for the covid, I finally bought a clipper and have started doing my own.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well each of my braids is about 20".

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wahl Super Taper clippers, dad bought one in '57 and cut our hair. Brother and I got "flat-top" cuts and Butch Wax... that clipper died on me just a couple years ago, got an updated one. Same design, it works great for me. Last barber chair I sat in was while in the Air Force. Didn't cut my hair for a long time, had a ponytail for years. Went from bein' "hypocritically bald" to admitting my Hippocratic baldness some time in the mid-nineties. Got out the old Wahl clippers, cut it down to as short as possible and haven't looked back.

I jokingly tell folks my barber's from New Zealand. Only knows the one style. Some get it, some don't.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
What was the lowest gasoline price you remember? I once saw 19 cents on the Berlin Turnpike just below Hartford during a gas war. Usual price was about a quarter.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Wahl Super Taper clippers, dad bought one in '57 and cut our hair. Brother and I got "flat-top" cuts and Butch Wax... that clipper died on me just a couple years ago,

We've seen your coif doc, pretty sure it died of loneliness or boredom :grin:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gasoline has always been a little cheaper in this part of the country. I can remember the usual price being 22 or 23 cents. Price wars were fairly common and I'm pretty sure I remember as low as 13 cents but it has been a long time for an old memory organ.