• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gerry Coker, R.I.P.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'm very sad to report that Gerry Coker, formerly of the Donald Healey Motor Company and designer of the 100 and the initial design of the Sprite, passed away this morning at the age of 99. He was the last of the major figures of the Donald Healey Motor Company. He was a gentleman and I'm thankful to have known him.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Very sorry to hear that, but his work lives on. Maybe too soon, or too cavalier, but it would have been awesome if he'd made it to 100!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It always is sad to hear that figures we have known pass away.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If it were not for Gerry Coker none of us would be on this or other Healey forums and we would not have developed the camaraderie and made the friends we have because of his vision, talent and creations. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude and his legacy lives on in our shared passion and enthusiasm for his iconic design. His physical presence may have left this earth but your spirit lives on and will do so for many years.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
[FONT=&quot]Some thoughts on Gerry Coker. I don't know anything about design except "If it looks right it is right." Here's a man whose work with a pen brought joy to many. Consider the side view of a Healey. It's so simple and recognizable that when our AHCNE designer-in-residence Nick Zarkedes drew up our event posters, regalia, etc. all he needed to do is use this line drawing. It instantly says "Healey".

[/FONT]
summit-register-now_2.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
And Gerry's original design for the Sprite was a poor man's Ferrari with obvious leanings to the Testa Rossa.

[/FONT]
Testa Rossa Sprite.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
How many of us have sat in our garage and stared at the lines of our Healey and smiled. That's a gift Gerry gave to us all.[/FONT]

Country flag
It was a privilege to have had the opportunity to meet him. I'm certain that many of us were looking forward to helping him celebrate his 100th Birthday next summer.

Rest in peace Gerry, and thank you for everything.

Gerry in BN6L/942, Safety Harbour, Florida 2016 (winner of the 1st Place 100/6 Class trophy that Gerry designed that year!)

attachment.php

Celebrating Gerry's 98th Birthday on July 14th, 2019 (DOB June 24, 1922) at Walt Mainberger's house in Sarasota.

attachment.php

14732198_10154765324668291_5857153078116872288_n.jpg

67042689_10213649760947729_2926905381978374144_n.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Very said to hear, as mentioned the last of the Healey group that designed and built the original 100 and Sprite, truly iconic designs, and examples of the first of the line being the best. RIP Mr. Coker.