• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Engine tilt

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
IMG_1613[1].jpgI probably am stressing about nothing but here goes. My engine is in the frame and it seems when looking at it that the engine tilts excessively toward the rear. Even my wife commented on it. I might want to mention that I have a HVDA (Toyota) transmission on it but I followed instructions closely using the mounts supplied. So I pulled out the level and got a measurement going from the front lip of the valve cover to the rear lip of the valve cover. Measurement at front 2 5/8" at back 4" for a difference of only 1 3/8" drop. It looks like more. Does this sound about right? Bruce

Last edited:
OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well I seem to be having problems getting another photo on here. Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1621[1].jpg
    IMG_1621[1].jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 157

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bammons:

I think 1 3/8" is too much. attached are a couple of photos I just made of my engine. On top the valve cover the difference fore to aft was only about 3/8 measured on the knurled nuts. leveling across the tops of the carbs I was not so steady taking a photo one handed (you can see the level bubble is not right), but I would guess 1/2" difference.

I also have the HVDA kit installed. I am using the Land Rover hockey puck style engine mounts without any shims.

Can you post a photo of how you installed the gearbox mounts?

Andy

Having issues with pasting images. They appear upside down in the thumbnail but if you click on them they are OK. Kludgy.

IMG_3423a.jpgIMG_3424a.jpg

Last edited:

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
What is the pinion angle on your driveshaft?

Cheers,
Tush

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Question Is the frame level are the tires all the same and is the garage floor level. When I put my TR 6 body on. The frame was all level on jack stands so I could shim all mounting points and fit doors to body.
Now I know mine is a TR6 but I checked my valve cover at the studs and the tilt is one inch down lower to the back, But that is a complete car. I think you may be ahead of the cart a bit. I would check the drive line with all new mounts it is what it is. Madflyer

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tush - The driveshaft is angled slightly down to the back of the transmission. I measured it would have to come up 1/8" at flange to be level. Madflyer - The frame is very close to being level front to back. Andy - Picture of transmission mount enclosed. Taking Madflyers advice about the frame and remeasuring in a different way I now come to 1 3/16" difference from the front flange of the valve cover to the rear flange. I had forgotten that I added a thick 1/8" washer to the engine mounts to aid in belt removal so taking that out puts me at 1 1/16". The engine mounts are the round type and are new. So Andy has given a figure of much less than mine is 3/8" what I should be shooting for? I can add shims to the transmission mount if needed. Madflyer I know you did not mean to be snarky but "it is what it is" does not help and is not the type of answer I am looking for. What is a acceptable tilt? Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_E1622[1].jpg
    IMG_E1622[1].jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 127

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The axis of the diff pinion and the axis of the gearbox output shaft should be parallel. If the aren't, speed distortions of the U joints wont fully cancel.

Ed

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The slope you are seeing, per my calculation, is 4.5 degrees. I just measured mine with an electronic level gauge (stock engine and transmission) at 3.9 degrees, including compensation for the 0.2-degree slope of the garage floor. Given that you have a very different installation, that doesn't seem like a huge difference, to me.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ok Guys - I think you have provided me with the info I need to alleviate my concern. It sounds like I am OK. Ed - I think I will take your advice and slightly shim the transmission mount to get a level inline adjustment of the driveshaft. Carlos - Thanks for your measurement apparently with both using the HVDA kit we are the same. So that answers alot of my concern. I am not a engineer so I had concerns about proper oil flow if there was too much lean. Bruce

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry if I sounded short. I do not think tilt is the right question it is the alignment to the diff. between balance and alignment to your or any drive line equipment. vibration and movement of the diff. adds to wear it will all change as your car is completed. As others have given you their numbers you are at a good set-up. This thread gives you the most correct information you will find. Think of it like this ; A car fully loaded
( two people full tank and luggage ) will sit lower to rear more tilt different angle to diff and the like. Build on! Madflyer