• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Road & Track

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Just got off the phone with my racing buddy from Florida. He posed a question that I'll pass on to you all:
1. In what year was Road & Track magazine started?
2. Who started it?
3. In what town or city?

I got 1/3 right.

PDP

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like not too many real old timers and R & T readers around. I got the year right - 1947. I also said John Bond. Wrong. He bought the magazine from Wilfred H. Brehaut, Jr. and Joseph S. Fennessy from Hempstead NY. He moved it to California. I started to read it every month in 1949 or 1950. I had a huge collection that I sold some years ago. I also had the first issue of Hot Rod magazine that I also sold. Now, R & T is a bimonthly. I haven't read a motor magazine in many years. No longer relevant. Also dropped my golf and tennis magazines.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a collection of model train, toy train and garden railroad magazines. Never thought to sell them. I took the covers and a few how too articles to review in retirement and tossed the rest. I stopped subscribing when I noticed so many of the articles started sounding the same. Played train in younger years with train provided by dad or granddad. Girls, school, cars, family got in the way. Now kids are out of the house time for the hobby. Same with some of the car articles. Kids out of the house, more room for stuff and less to carry in the car, hence the two seater in the garage.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a few years' worth in the burgundy binders they supplied. '70~'75 or so. Quit renewing subscription sometime in the mid-eighties, IIRC.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I don’t remember exactly when I stopped. It was either when the car review no longer seemed pertinent to me or when Peter Egan left. I really enjoyed his columns.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
What? You're not in the market for a $105,000.00 Porsche or a McLaren?
They lost me a L-o-n-g time ago.
I did love Henry N. Manney's European columns. He raved about eating Zampone in Bologna, washed down with Lambrusco. I actually lived the dream some years ago. In Bologna, I ordered it. The waiter looked at me funny. Everyone else was eating pasta or osso bucco. The Zampone was as heavy as lead. Like Kischka or Stuffed Derma or Haggis. Like that. The Lambrusco was terrible. Some dreams are better left at that. We did visit the Ferrari factory but were refused admittance. We did get into the nearby Ferrari store where I bought my friend a scale model Ferrari.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I don’t remember exactly when I stopped. It was either when the car review no longer seemed pertinent to me or when Peter Egan left. I really enjoyed his columns.

Likely the same for me. I believe it was he who wrote that you don't just get into a Lotus but rather put it on like a pair of pantyhose.

Another automotive writer I enjoyed reading was Satch Carlson, in AutoWeek.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Many years ago, I worked for an outfit called Diesel Publications. There was a fellow worker, Len Griffing. He knew nothing about cars until I took him out for lunch in my TR3. He became interested. I quit that job but he continued for a time then left himself. He got another job - as Editor in Chief of Sports Cars Illustrated, later Car and Driver. I like to think I got him started on a successful career.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I sent a letter to the editor when they did "truck issue" recently. Subscribe out of duty and the fact they practically give it away now, but they tend to stack up on my bedside table, unread. Yes, way too many articles about exotic cars I will never own, and trucks and SUVs I don't care about.

I remember the glory days when you could read formula one race recaps, three months old, and they were news, you couldn't get it anywhere else.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
glemon said:
I remember the glory days when you could read formula one race recaps, three months old, and they were news, you couldn't get it anywhere else.

I had an Autoweek subscription shortly after it went weekly as "Competition Press & Autoweek." They were usually well ahead of R&T for F-1 results. And Denise McCluggage was part of it. They also covered European rally results well. My "awakening" was as the result of a ride in a Lotus Elan S-2, at fourteen. Had R&T coming to the house as well, but that was more for what was going on in the industry and the road tests.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I met Denise a couple of times. At Lime Rock where some guys called her "Denise McBaggage". The second time was at the Stamford Museum where I bought a copy of her book and she autographed it for me. Nice gal, and not a bad race driver.