• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Headrest Speakers?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Was out at the local Pick'n Pull yesterday with buddy Jeff, looking for Nissan body parts (ours picked up a very severe bruise on its nose last week; fortunately single vehicle and human bruising but no injuries and the air bags didn't fire) and found a 1990 Mazda Miata with the (worn) seats still in place, but the speakers in the headrests long gone.
We pulled the seats and I'm thinking about installing them in our dune buggy (plus replacing the speakers and re-covering) so that the radio could be heard whilst driving. We also have a Bugeye to put together this winter so that's a possibility, but probably not (aesthetics; not enough room to really use the recline features, etc). And now, the question:
This winter's Sprite will get a rollbar (protection against side impact, primarily) and some sort of pad behind the occupants' heads to protect against rear end collisions. The Miata seats have a quite solid section in the headrest where the back of your skull would be impacted, and just full depth foam rubber on the sides where the speakers are.
Can anyone advise as to finding headrests that would contain speakers (and were actually engineered for automobile accidents vs. something I tried to dream up), such that I could modify and mount that protection and comfort in the BE?
I disappeared into the Wikipedia Wormhole, and when I found this ( https://www.recaro-kids.com/monza-nova-2.html ) in response to my search function, figured I'd see if anyone in the community has already gone looking. Thanks, Doug

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A reply from Recaro that I don't fully understand:
[FONT=&quot] Hello, [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Thank you for the inquiry.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Unfortunately, we are not aware of any such seat from an aftermarket perspective. If this was an option for an OEM seat, that feature is proprietary to the car manufacturer only.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Regards, Team RECARO[/FONT]

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Look into JEEP seats I got there speakers and put them in my dash a direct fit where the side vents were they fr behind the wood dash apox 3 inches 1973 TR 6 Madflyer

Mk3Sprite

Freshman Member
Back in the day, at least down under you used to be able to buy "Recarophinic" headrests. I had one, it was purchased direct from Recaro as just the headrest.