• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One week with new Telluride

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
So my story is that I have had a Hyundai Santa Fe (2007) since new - 13 years! It had been a great car and served us well for over 317 thousand miles! Then, back in August, something in the timing chain area gave out and there was a very loud noise from under the timing chain cover. I suspect that either a damper or a guide had broken. The cost to repair was just not worth it so I decided to donate the car to charity and started looking for something else. Given the new grand daughter I knew I wanted another SUV.

I had seen a Kia Telluride at a Costco a few weeks earlier and really liked the look of it. I started doing some research and saw that this SUV was getting rave reviews, so I decided this was going to be the replacement for the Santa Fe. Because these cars are very popular (go figure - a popular Kia) the local dealers were adding a "dealer markup" that was several thousand above MSRP. So, I started calling dealers in other states. The best deal I could find was to pay MSRP (first time in my life I've ever paid MSRP for a car) and I ended up ordering the exact car I wanted from a dealer in Plano Texas. I actually paid $400 under MSRP because Kia had a military discound - I just had to provide a copy of my DD-214. I placed the order at the end of August and drove a one-way rental car to Plano and took delivery 53 days later when my car was delivered to the dealer.

I have now had this car for one week and have been blown away by this thing. It is an extremely quiet and surprisingly luxurious car with a ton of safety technology. Time will tell how reliable this thing will be, but it does have a very good warrenty (5 years/ 60,000 miles basic / roadside assistance and 10 year / 100,000 drive train warranty). The color is Dark Moss with Butterscotch leather.

Took this picture at sunrise on way back from Plano.​
Telluride_Texas-1.jpg

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Nice ride! (And nice photo).

I head these were incredibly popular (as is the VW Atlas - similar in mission), but above MSRP is something usually reserved for serious one-offs! (Like the neat special editions Chrysler makes.)

Glad you like it. It looks great - somehow the styling hides the large size of the vehicle. Enjoy!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks great boss - congrats

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Nice ride! (And nice photo).

I head these were incredibly popular (as is the VW Atlas - similar in mission), but above MSRP is something usually reserved for serious one-offs! (Like the neat special editions Chrysler makes.)

Glad you like it. It looks great - somehow the styling hides the large size of the vehicle. Enjoy!!

When I decided I was going to get serious about this car I wanted to see one up close and personal. We have 3 dealers within driving distance of me and only one at the time had a Telluride on the lot - and it was already spoken for, but at least I was able to go check it out in person.

It is definitely a bigger car than my Santa Fe - takes a little getting used to when parking.

looks great boss - congrats

Thanks. It's only an SUV but we like it!

As my late mother used to say - use it in good health.

Knock on wood!

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I placed the order at the end of August and drove a one-way rental car to Plano and took delivery 53 days later when my car was delivered to the dealer.

I am not sure if you are impatient or very patient man. I would have probably waited at home instead of driving to Plano 53 days early. :excitement: Good looking car. Kia has really improved their quality in the last few years.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I am not sure if you are impatient or very patient man. I would have probably waited at home instead of driving to Plano 53 days early. :excitement: Good looking car. Kia has really improved their quality in the last few years.

Lol! I guess I didn't word that very well.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's the color combination I would choose! Tellurides and Palisades abound here in SoCal because they are such an excellent value. Kia is the more rugged "off-road" choice and better looking of the two. Level-ride tow option is a nice feature and likely on your particular ride. You'll be finding yourself going well above speed limit in these things so activate one of the many nanny's to keep it in check! Thanks for sharing.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That's the color combination I would choose! Tellurides and Palisades abound here in SoCal because they are such an excellent value. Kia is the more rugged "off-road" choice and better looking of the two. Level-ride tow option is a nice feature and likely on your particular ride. You'll be finding yourself going well above speed limit in these things so activate one of the many nanny's to keep it in check! Thanks for sharing.

Having just donated a Hyundai Santa Fe to charity that I happily owned for 13 years (and 317k+ miles), you might wonder why I went with a Telluride and not a Palisade. The Palisade is clearly more "upscale" and a lot more luxury, but for me it came down to looks. I just liked the looks of the Telluride better. I first saw a Telly at Costco a few months back and, having never seen one before, I had to go take a closer look. I couldn't believe it was a Kia! So, I started looking at reviews and saw that Motortrend named it SUV of the year and all the reviews I read and saw were glowing. If you'd have told me a year ago that my next car after the SAnta Fe would be a Kia I'd have said you were crazy. But here we are! :friendly_wink:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bas, I'm not buying it. I think you bought the Telluride instead of the Palisade because, like the Santa Fe before it, it's named for a town that's not too far from you.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
See, 95 miles further. Fits my theory perfectly.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wife was not amused. SWMBO says "this car is too complicated, I don't think I can drive it." Me: "Nonsense, just read this manual and you'll see how easy it all is." (As I hand her the 582 page owners manual) :angel2:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Congratulations! I am surprised you didn't get a deal through Costco, though.

No but I researched and found there are very few dealers offering Costco pricing on the Telly and there would be a longer than normal wait. I did a special order to get the exact car/options I wanted from a dealer in Texas who wasn't jacking up the prices with "market adjustments" like the locals were. I did, however, get a discount for being a veteran - just had to take a copy of my DD-214.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Sent my salesman a little memento. I had the picture I took on the drive back home framed and sent it to him. He just texted a picture of his desk with the picture on it.

IMG_2546.jpg

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Sent my salesman a little memento. I had the picture I took on the drive back home framed and sent it to him. He just texted a picture of his desk with the picture on it.

Nice!

Always respect a car salesperson with a helmet on his desk - suggests a "gear-head"!

(Or did he buy this after test driving with you :smile: :smile: :smile: )

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Nice!

Always respect a car salesperson with a helmet on his desk - suggests a "gear-head"!

(Or did he buy this after test driving with you :smile: :smile: :smile: )

He has one of those "crotch rockets". The kind of bike I know I'd kill myself on.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
He has one of those "crotch rockets". The kind of bike I know I'd kill myself on.

Me too! (Closest I had was a Vespa :smile:)

Nonetheless, a crotch rocket suggests a "car guy". More fun doing business with those types! (Plus the fact that he put your Telluride photo on his desk - seems to enjoy what he does!)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We've had "Kojak" for 1 month now and my wife finally screwed up enough courage to drive him! She's been reluctant because of the size compared to the 2007 Santa Fe we used to have. She had to babysit our granddaughter tonight and I suggested she drive the Telly and she reluctantly agreed. She made it to our son's house unscathed (about 30 mile trip) but she said she was nervous the whole time.

Hopefully she will quickly get more comfortable driving it as she gains more wheel time. It drives similar to the Santa Fe but it definitely is a lot bigger.