• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Home made.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Having some time to spare I decided to make another small table. This one is made with some Red Oak I milled a couple of years ago.
I say another because over the years I have made several of these as Christmas presents for family members. It is a perfect height to put beside a chair for coffee or other beverage.

David.

Small table s.jpg
The one in the background is one I made about 28 years ago as a step stool so our daughter could help cook.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice, David! Oak is our favorite wood for furniture.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's absolutely charming, David.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
David Working with wood can be a gift and talent and much rewards to others. I do a lot with the tools I have and there is always a need for a new tool. I started in middle school went on to aircraft school building wood frames in wings and spars. on to wood parts in car doors ( MG TD ) . My wife's Grandfather turned oak that he stored under ground for years as for it not to split. We have candle holders over 75 years old. I have done gun stocks tables chairs cabinets. I wood burn my mark inside. What I have learned with wood is to read the wood for grain, looks, Red oak is a good wood for a lot of projects for strength, looks, and no reason to paint it. Use another wood for that kind of project. I think of a project ( Wife that is ) start with a right wood the type of grain and think of it a blank slate that is most likely be 50 years old that I am giving it a new life that may be another 50 years. Madflyer

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I’ve recently been using reclaimed wood from old buildings that were torn down. This table top came from the Odd Fellows Hall in Worcester MA. The key for me is to leave as much of the character as possible. Since most of the wood is cupped it take some work to get it flat. Once it’s flat it only gets sanded and it still shows the saw original marks. I think it’s a shame to run it through a surface planer. 6A3617C9-ECCE-4F8B-803A-E5C11D5109CE.jpg16F1A99D-7738-4AE3-8D8D-80C638A3444B.jpg

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I refinished my kitchen table using rubbed-effect varnish. It came out too shiny.
Try paraffin oil and benzene rubbed in with 4/0 steel wool. An old trick from my father in law the paint salesman.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Also have to refinish large patch of my kitchen floor where a Hot frypan scorched the wood floor and left a black ring that I sanded out but it left a gray patch. Is this something I can correct myself or do I need a floor man like the guy who installed the wood floor years ago. He passed away several years ago.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just did a butcher block island top unfinished used two stains one for color and the other as a gray on and off to to give an aged look and then sealed Howards Feed N Wax Beeswax & Orange oil Water repellant satin sheen food grade. Size 4' X 5' x 1 3/4 inch 120 pounds. the center piece of kitchen. Madflyer

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I just did a butcher block island top unfinished used two stains one for color and the other as a gray on and off to to give an aged look and then sealed Howards Feed N Wax Beeswax & Orange oil Water repellant satin sheen food grade. Size 4' X 5' x 1 3/4 inch 120 pounds. the center piece of kitchen. Madflyer

Pictures? I'd like to see it. Want to construct a kitchen island, want it to be on locking casters as this kitchen is small, so it needs to be mobile. I've done counter-tops with cheap Chinese acrylic 'Korlan' (Dupont won't sell their product to us peons!), have a top built for the Island but stalled the project. Looking for inspiration!

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry I have not got posting pic down yet but got the top from Lowes. Much less cost than most other tops easy to cut to size. You may look into 1 1/2 inch thick as to cutting down on weight on casters. ( I wanted the heavy look to fit the large size island. Depending on your floor you may want to look into duel wheeled casters Look at capacity of caster. Most 3 inch load is 275 lbs. I put casters on my table tools for easy moving but wished I had done two swivel and two fixed in stead of locking all four wheels. As for the top all the wood pieces have different grains and take color more or less so an even color may be more difficult depending on what you want. By adding the gray wash look cleared some of that and added in blending. I live in Reno NV. area and this top is warmer in looks and feel. Madflyer