• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a restoration

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Don Riicardo here living in Alicante Province Spain. I have just a few days ago joined BCF , At present I am in the process of restoring a Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a, she is a December 1974 model, in Highland Purple, being a 1 owner vehicle having covered only 49,000 miles. On the new members sight are several photo's of the car and how the work is progressing along with a breif history of myself-
has anyone in BCF got or had a Scimitar, or am I the first?
Whatever I would like to hear from anyone with any information on the Reliant Scimitar GTE.

Many thanks, Don Riicardo

GeorgetheTR3

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Don, I do have to admit that I had to google your car to even know what it might look like. I am pretty sure I have never heard of this model before, so it was likely not imported into the USA. I do hope you have every success in your restoration efforts. GeorgetheTR3

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi GeorgetheTR3,

I know of at least 1 in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. They were never exported by Reliant to any country, however, a few have managed to find there way to various countries in the world.
Don Riicardo

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There's a fellow in Knoxville who has one. Lovely car!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I owned a Scimitar years ago. Parts are not so bad as they used a lot from other manufacturers. There used to be a parts interchange list floating around. Windshield from a Lotus Elan +2, Triumph TR front suspension, Hillman Hunter rear light lens, etc.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi, there is still a interchangeable parts list available, the problem I have now since BREXIT is the delays encountered by Spanish customs, as at this present time I have items in customs since they left the UK on 13/01/2021, having paid import duty and tax. I suppose they will turn up eventually.
Other items I am trying to source in Spain or fabricate them myself.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Just a few pictures of the refurb work on the body, first 3 are body colour getting ready for clear coat, last 3 are body work primed ready for colour coat 'Highland purple metalic'. Just before covering up as we are expecting a sand storm over the next few days, so don't want any of the work ruined.

Attachments

• DSCN0905.jpg
    DSCN0905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20201013_120054-1.jpg
    IMG_20201013_120054-1.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210312_115722.jpg
    IMG_20210312_115722.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0885.JPG
    DSCN0885.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0880.JPG
    DSCN0880.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0878.JPG
    DSCN0878.JPG
    649 KB · Views: 137
OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well, sand storm over with, followed by 3 days of heavy rain and strong winds. bodywork well ruined, some places it was down to the gell coat, so now, it's start over again, rub down all damaged area's, repair and back to filler primer coat ready for colour coat well 2 or 3 coats, leave for a couple of hours then 2 or 3 coats of clear, depending on how it goes weather wise. Leave it to harden for a week or so then cut and polish. That should hopefully be done by the first week in May. That will leave re-assembly of the engine and gearbox, plus other bits and pieces, ready for road test hopefully by August all being well.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well at long last we are back to working on the Scimitar, the car has now received it first coat of base paint, and then the compressor started to playup, I found a split pressure hose, so the relacement arrived tomorrow. It is now hoped that by Sunday evening clear coat will be on and thats it, leave for a couple of days to harden and then buff it, start the re-assembly. Not bad for a year behind schedual, but at least we are getting there.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You are right on schedule if you are only a year behind.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I owned a Scimitar years ago. Parts are not so bad as they used a lot from other manufacturers. There used to be a parts interchange list floating around. Windshield from a Lotus Elan +2, Triumph TR front suspension, Hillman Hunter rear light lens, etc.

Is the windshield the same as a Consul Capri?

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
From when I owned mine I was told the windshield was used in the early Scimitars, Lotus Elan +2 and the Consul Capri. The Lotus might be most common source in North America. I got one shipped from the UK at great expense with a fantastic seller building a box for me.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was just trying to see if I remembered correctly.
I had two Capris years ago.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
A small update.
Well it's starting to go back together slowly at last, that is as I find the bits (I thought I had it all organized labeled and boxed. how wrong I was) so far I have misplaced the radiator grill, it's some place in my garage along with the rest of the car.

Attachments

• IMG-20210903-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210903-WA0002.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 102
OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Belated 2022 greeting to one and all. Yes another year has passed and I am still not finished with the restoration, since I last put pen to paper the work has virtually come to a stand still, for what reason I don't really know (blame it on COVID 19) Anyway it is now the middle of January and cold and damp, so my outside workshop is too cold, so trying to clear space in the garage that's slow going as I didn't realise how I had spread everything out for easy location (wrong again). More parts have been arriveing; replacement front brake assemblies from Wilwood; new Alloy radiator (custom made); electronic ignition system by Accuspark; Scandix up-rated brake servo unit. So now it's time to get motivated and get on with rebuilding and fitting the newly arrived parts.

Stay safe and healthy, Don Riicardo

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thanks for the update - even if it isn't done - Happy New year! and keep us posted

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi all, it's been a while, so I thought it was time for an update. I have not been idle, as I have now finally moved into my garage, bit of a struggle but made it. Anyway I have started getting ready to reinstall the engine and gearbox, when I found a crack in the gearbox casing, so it was decision time, spend upwards of 1500€ on a recon box; a new casing and rebuild the box or find an alternative gearbox, this was the route I decided upon, having done a bit of research, a Mazda RX8, 6 speed box was chosen as they seemed readily available and reasonably priced, with the adapter plate for the Essex V6 was 320€.
Now it was to plan my course of action, Step 1: Do I use Ford or Mazda parts or mix them, mix was decided, use the Ford clutch assembly and the Mazda operating system. Step 2: Trial fit to see what problems I come across, first problem gearbox won't engage fully with engine a 10mm gap is between them, using the newly acquired intrascope (thanks Amazon) I found that the clutch assembly foul's the bell housing in region of starter mounting (Mazda) a bit of grinding was required to give the required clearance. Step 3: Figure out how to set up clutch operating system, I had already decided on a hydraulic system, now to find a slave cylinder that would fit and operate the system, eventually a Mazda 6, CY-324 cylinder was found to be suitable. that is as far as I can go until the cylinder arrives (it's on back order).
So it's now back to fitting the 'Wilwood' front disc's and 4 pot calipers as the correct brake pipe adapters have arrived, again no instructions so where was the spacer to go? After trail and error I found it fitted between the brake disc and the stub axle, obvious now.
That's it in a nut shell so to speak, but in real time it's taken in excess of 60 man hours

Don

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Guy's I am back to fill in some more details as I have been quite busy since the last up date as I received the date for my knee surgery. I am now at home house bound so to speak so here goes.
I have managed to fit the engine and gear box into the car, bit of a struggle by myself it took 5 hours. I have fitted the stainless steel tubular exhaust manifolds (headers) bit of a job as clearances are prity small. I have had a new prop shaft made and have also fitted that. Installed the new stainless steel fuel tank and 3/16 copper fuel pipe along with a S&K electric fuel pump, filter and NRV, will test whenI am ready to start the engine.
As for body work I have assembled the drivers door locking assemble and fitted it, also the window and frame unit with new rubber seals. Fitted new quad H4 head light units along with wiring and relays, it was not as easy as I thought grafting it into the original wiring loom, but it's done and avo tested, just requires a full functional when the car is ready to run.
That about brings things up to date, the next time I will be able to do any work on the car will be 2023, boy yet another yet gone bye, I supose it might get finished and on the road next year, my doesn't time fly , it will be 2 years behind if I get it done next year.
Don

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great to have you back and thanks for the update! pictures are always welcome