• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many hands?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Found some old British Pennies and Half Pennies in a tin while looking for something else. I polished a 1961 Penny to add to mu TR3A key ring. While looking through the pile of coins I noticed several that are so worn it is almost impossible to read the date.
How many hands have they passed through since they were minted? One was minted in 1898.

David
half pennys 2 s.jpg
I added the Penny on the bottom right to show what they start out like.
TR key ring s.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's interesting. Finding "small treasures" is always fun. Neat that you've added one to the key fob, too.

Country flag
That’s one of the things I’ve always wondered with my setof half dollars. When might one of thesebeen the last coin in someone’s pocket.. With the exception of about 5 really expensive pieces complete back to1839. Before that to 1796 when the firstwere minted there are about 450 varieties since the dies were not machine made,you find differences in the placement of letters, numbers and other details foreach year. I have about 330 ofthem. Needless to say, I’ve been chasingthem since I was young and buy the new ones each year to keep it up to date.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
when we lived in Florida I had a parishioner who, as a child had an elder who knew Jefferson Davis. So, I shook the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Jefferson Davis. amazing how quickly time goes.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm reading a book, "Lincoln on the Verge". The current chapter is about his train trip from Springfield to Washington. Judging by the number of hands he shook on the way, you've probably shook the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Lincoln too.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm reading a book, "Lincoln on the Verge". The current chapter is about his train trip from Springfield to Washington. Judging by the number of hands he shook on the way, you've probably shook the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Lincoln too.

indeed - love it!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I did know that polishing coins did a number on the value. Not that I plan to sell any of them but it would make reading some of the dates easier. My key chain one is defaced now anyway with the hole in it so any value it may have had is lost.

David

You should not polish old coins, especially if you plan to sell them. It will detract from their value.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I turned sixteen my grandfather gave me a keychain with a buffalo nickel in it, the buffalo is on my tribe's great seal and grandpa loved stuff like that. It's the only keychain I've ever carried.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It is amazing the small things that are such a big thing in your life. What a great memory of your Grandfather.

There is an Indian Celebration in Macon every year in September. In 2007 there was an artist who did life size bronze sculptures. I believe he may have done a bronze sculpture that is displayed at Oklahoma State Capital Building.
This is a piece he had on display in Macon it is nearly 6' tall. I have another photo I will try to find it.

David
DSC_4913.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
David that is a beautiful sculpture. If you can find the artist';s name, the Oklahoma capitol sculpture was done by Enoch Kelley Haney, IIRC, an Oklahoma born Seminole-Creek so with ties to your part of the country.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I think this is the artist. I do not remember his name. I will ask at the National park they have the Celebration.

David

DSC_4786.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I find it incredible that these pieces with all their intricacies are cast bronze. Both the talent and craftsmanship are astounding to me.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Very talented artist for sure.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Beautiful sculptures.

Bayless, it may well be one that's on display inside the Capitol instead of the one on the dome.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
If I remember correctly his smaller pieces were in the not outrageous price range. Beyond my impulse buy range but affordable for a piece of art. I am presuming that those pieces would not be One offs.

David