• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just purchased a 1973 Triumph TR6

Gordon Morrison

Freshman Member
Country flag
It's running great on the country roads. In town (stop and go traffic and lights) the temperature gauge rises when stoped to about mid way the rpms drop and car stalls. Any Ideas?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good pick in TR 6 1973 year same as mine. As for temp center is about 165 deg normal in NC. If temp goes up and down no or bad thermostat should hold steady. The test I recommend is any car tuned and running correctly Should Idle at temp for ten minuets at any outside temp 100 deg or 40 deg. Start here at cold start remove Rad cap start car should see no water movement until steam comes out then check temp gage. If water movement at start no thermostat. Items to also check Low water, low oil, carb adjustment to lean. Carb need even temp and balance to run smooth. How long have you had the car?? Tell us more. Madflyer

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Gordon

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and help there for your TR6.

Post some photos of your TR6

David

OP
G

Gordon Morrison

Freshman Member
Country flag
MadFlyer, Thanks for the advice. I fixed the stalling problem - turns out it was a bad float valve in one of the stromberg carbs.

I have another issue. I start the car and it idles fine for about a minute than the idle increases to 20,000 rpm. I have tried adjusting the idle screws (no help) I have also noted that the choke fast idle adjustment cams do return to their original position when the choke is pushed in. Any Ideas to help reduce the idle speed???

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Gordon and welcome to the British Car Forum. ā€˜73 TR6 is a good choiceā€¦ I like mine too :bananawave:
As far as the temp rising:
Is the cardboard radiator shield in place?
It ducts the air to the radiator and helps with cooling. Since they were made of fiberboard they didnā€™t hold up well. If yourā€™s is gone I recommend a replacement.
Also, check/replace the air cleaners and the dashpot oil in the carbs.
As David suggests, head over to the Triumph section and post your questions.

Last edited: