• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Exhaust Systems

Skidude

Country flag
I have a 59 TR3 with a one muffler exhaust system. It's stainless steel and in great shape - but, it's a little too loud for me.

For this year's winter project - I'm considering putting in a 2 muffler stainless steel exhaust system.

The question is - which system have you had the best luck with (quality and installation) - the Tourist Trophy system sold be Moss Motors - or the Falcon system sold by The Roadster Factory - or, another brand available elsewhere?

The cost difference is so small - it doesn't matter between Moss and TRF. I want the better and easier to install correctly system.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I got my exhaust from Bastuck & co Germany makes the right noise and pleasant on the ear.

Graham
P1010161.jpeg
P1010160.jpeg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't know how to do sound or video , I will ask one of my boys if they can do it

Graham

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Do you need the entire exhaust or can you just add the resonator on to your current one?

OP
S

Skidude

Country flag
My understanding is I have to replace the entire exhaust system - no way to insert the front resonator on it's own.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
As shown in the pic above, the main muffler is forward of the axle, and the resonator is behind. Without the resonator you just have a straight pipe behind the axle. If you purchase a resonator any muffler shop can install it pretty easily by replacing the straight pipe with the resonator + tailpipe. I would just think that would be much cheaper than replacing the entire system when you only want to add the resonator??

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I normally strive for originality but I started using the Thrush cherry bomb back in the 1960's and it is still available today. They are about $30 and you can pick them up at most auto stores. The rest of the system is stock plain steel. Not for everybody of course. (I happened to have the fancy stainless clamp hanging around.)

Also note that if the pipe hits the cruciform on the way through, as they often do, it will greatly amplify the noise.

tailpipe.jpg

Tom

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I just recently redid my exhaust on my TR3. I used a magna flow muffler with 2"in and 2" out. Also a 12" glasspac, The sound is great and the horse power went up dramatically. I knew there would be some power increase but was really suprised on the extra HP. I am not worried about originality, especially with the supercharger!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I just recently redid my exhaust on my TR3. I used a magna flow muffler with 2"in and 2" out. Also a 12" glasspac, The sound is great and the horse power went up dramatically. I knew there would be some power increase but was really suprised on the extra HP. I am not worried about originality, especially with the supercharger!

Did you have the supercharger all along and the muffler added "kick in the pants" horsepower? Or did you add the supercharger at the same time as the muffler?

If Triumphs normally have straight-through mufflers, it's unlikely any other straight-through muffler would add noticeable power.

The added supercharger comment was kind of a ringer. :eek:

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have had the supercharger for many years. The exhaust that was on the TR3 was the pace Monza exhaust from Moss.