• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Study in Contrasts - Lambo and...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A neighbor brought his new Lamborghini "Aventador" by our place (being finally delivered from a dealer in LA). It took some time to get it licensed in Oregon. It's a 12 cylinder BEAST. This is his 3rd one (though he finally sold his others - a Gallardo and a Mercialago). This thing is Lambo's latest model (and an "SVJ" version), and has a great deal of optional carbon fiber on/in it. Boy does it purr. The dealer sent a guy up to Portland just to check him out on it!

Anyway, I thought it was a fine study in contrasts to take a pic with my Bugeye Sprite in my neighbor's garage (across our small street - where there is also a Prius). I figure I could buy a good 30 perfect Bugeyes for the cost of this orange monster.

2020-09-28 14.43.34.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A study in contrasts indeed!

High tech, computer controlled, expensive upkeep, latest styling ...

Low tech, human controlled, hands-on DIY upkeep, classic styling ..

Which one would you drive to get ice cream?

(OK - I confess to the "sour grapes" disease.)

Tom M.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yep to all that. If it needs virtually ANY work, it must be shipped up to Seattle! An oil change costs a LOT (as this is a sump-less engine with 16 drain point and lots in the way).
He's also afraid to take it most places, and can't leave it just sitting anywhere.
Would I like to have one? Sure... but I'm way too cheap to afford even the insurance. Requires about $600K to get in the game.

When he had the Mercilago, there is a now somewhat famous video of him leaving it out front of a local restaurant (Jakes) here is Portland and some bicyle-rider (what they call a Zoo-bomber here) drove right over it! Didn't do any damage. Check out the waiter.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Many of those supercars are so low that they bottom out leaving driveways and passing over bumps. Even my little Alfa hangs up in my driveway if I straddle the center with its high spots. You couldn't give me one of those cars.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Many of those supercars are so low that they bottom out leaving driveways and passing over bumps. Even my little Alfa hangs up in my driveway if I straddle the center with its high spots.

Exactly... and there are many roads near us that are hazardous to these cars. But then I used to run into lots of problems with my Austin-Healey BN2 back in the day (with an occasional muffler disconnect) as the clearance was very low with it too.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I must confess they do nothing for me. I suppose I wouldn't mind a ride in one just because. Other than that. they (and their Ferrari counterparts) are remarkably common in Toronto and totally aside from the ahem 'attitudes' of most of the drivers I just fail to see the appeal of a 750 HP supercar in Toronto traffic. I would take a car that I can go out and thrash and not worry about tickets or harming someone every day of the week.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If I lived in Portland I'd want a Hummer. With the gun turrets mounted. Seeing that BMX snot-nosed punk pull that stunt confirms why. Whether disrespect for others' property, wealth envy or simple stupidity, that behavior should be rewarded. With extreme prejudice. :devilgrin:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'd bet that many of us have seen similar childish behavior where we live. Note that someone was standing there with his smartphone, waiting for the BMX idiot to "do his thing". Here in Connecticut many streets and rural roads are downright scary, with all the atv's, motorbikes, motorcycles, and lifted diesel pickups blasting smoke and flames, burning rubber, and blocking right of way. Certainly describes my next door neighbors.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Well, thankfully/luckily, no damage was done. My neighbor was fairly philosophical about it (perhaps remembering his youth). Still, not a nice thing to do.
BMXers downtown are a near homeless crowd. They call them "Zoo Bombers" because on one of the hills above Portland (but close in) by the zoo, they race down streets at unbelievable break-neck speeds.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
There's a guy here in town who fits that description. He tears around town at high speeds, tailgating, cutting people off. He's already wrecked a BMW and now drives a Chevy pickup. There's a restraining order out from his ex-wife, he's been arrested several times, etc. How long before this idiot kills himself or someone else - and the police can do little to stop him. I understand his folks keep bailing him out - apparently they have money. He's not a redneck - only proving that having a few bucks is no cure for being an a##hole.