• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recommended Tire Life

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've read (by Michelin and others) that 10 years is a maximum... even if tread-wear is fine. I'm up to 9 on my current Pirellis (and they look great).
I know that rubber has a half-life of sorts, but is there any consensus here on how long to drive on unworn tires (that don't get a lot of hard or highway use)?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Small car light driving parked inside tires will last a long time. The question is today's tires are dated and most all tire shops can not fix them after 6 years. If car is parked for part of the year best up on blocks . But the long and short of it is your life is riding on them, Your call. Madflyer

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had a tire on the MH blow out at 11 years while on the freeway. Fortunately, not much damage, but the others looked fine as I shelled out for six new ones.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I had a tire on the MH blow out at 11 years while on the freeway. Fortunately, not much damage, but the others looked fine as I shelled out for six new ones.

Frankly, that's my only concern (a side-wall going out at high speed). I might give mine a few more years and then swap them out.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
When I bought my TR6 22 years ago, it had redlines on it. They looked good and I kept them on there for many years - too many for sure, but I never had any trouble, but a few years ago, I replaced them with a new set of Michelin Defenders.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I tend to drive on then until I can see the belts or have a blow out.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I tend to drive on then until I can see the belts or have a blow out.

I suppose I would drive regular tires to nearly that state, but I'm referring to tires that don't wear and merely AGE.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Would be interesting to know if insurance companies check the age of tires on a vehicle damaged due to tire failure, loss of traction, skidding, etc. Wonder if they might say "sorry, tires were beyond life expectancy - no payment" when deciding on coverage.

Tom M.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
But then I suppose there's always this:
2020-10-21 21.29.35.jpg

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The ins. company's did not inspect my tires the State police did. A fine would have been given if they did not meet DOT spec. When asked what if an accident happened then what laws apply same as speeding in bad weather ( speed limits reduced rain snow ) Nevada 45 MPH in winter driving as posted, accident go to you as fault due to speed and tires. Firestone and Ford killed a lot of people due to tire blowouts. You may never have a blowout or even a flat but when and if you ever due get one it will not be in your driveway. It will be on a bridge in the rain at midnight and your son or daughter will be driving. Sorry about the Red lines if look could kill they would. Your car may give you four chances to live and one chance to die. BUY the tires!! Madflyer

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I remember that tool being phased out in England. At the time you could patch a tubeless tire with the US type plug. Then it had to be a Mushroom plug inserted from inside. Then the plug had to be heat vulcanized on the inside. After that they banned tire repair as far as I remember.

David

But then I suppose there's always this:
View attachment 65902

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On our race car we had new tires shaved to almost slicks then ran the day and junked. I had a friend ask about tires on his two horse trailer twin axle. Tire store said he needed new 6 ply $$$ He said the tread was good why buy new. I told him parked out in sun for years moving 5,000 # sidewall go bad one horse value $10,000.00 how much are the tires?? Your call ( new tires ) Madflyer

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I took my TR3 out for run last weekend. About 100 miles. Lots of up and down and twists. I noticed the 8 year old tires were not griping the road as before. I was getting a bit of slide or hopping. So they look fine but may not perform as well anymore. The rubber gets hard.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I took my TR3 out for run last weekend. About 100 miles. Lots of up and down and twists. I noticed the 8 year old tires were not griping the road as before. I was getting a bit of slide or hopping. So they look fine but may not perform as well anymore. The rubber gets hard.

Similar experience by a friend in his '82 Porsche 911 SC... tires that looked fine but easy smoked and skidded. I think it was due to hard rubber.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
... and just think of all that flexing that goes on in the side-walls with every rotation.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Is that tire grooving tool still available I have a tire that needs some tread. They don't make them like they use to.

David
Tire s.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The Classic car industry put out a warning to Vintage car owners. Replace the tires regularly in 5-7 yrs. The tires rot from the inside and you do not want to tear up the old car you have time and money in. In the RV world, time is 5 and no more than 7 yrs. Short hauls 7, long trips 5. A friend of mine extended to 7, went to daughter's wedding 700 miles away and lost the side of the RV to a blown tire. Trailers basically the same. If sitting in sun, vet tire covers as the UV light stiffens and destroys the new generation tires. Materials aren't the same as of old when you could easily get 90,000 miles on a tire before loosing it. Kind of like new appliances, make them,.so.you have to replace more often.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all. Good advice. I think I'll be replacing mine next Spring.

Last edited:

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a set of Dunlap's on my pick-up some 40,000 - 50,000 miles tires. I took it in for the free rotation at 20,000 or the like big bump on inside sidewall of two of the tires I did not see just lucky I maintain my tires. Warranty replaced all four $ 35.00 each mounted balanced and new stems. Good service, good warranty, poor tires. Madflyer