• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Valve seats

dbenichou289

So I just received some valve seats from a TR3 supplier as I am rebuilding the cyl head, but received 3 different sizes: 20-1437-3 (1.43" OD), PC-1500-29 (1.5" OD), and PC-1625-36 (1.625" OD). Can anyone confirm/deny which size valve seats are required, for both intake and exhaust?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ex would be smaller and fit would be about .003 tight. how many seats did you get 4 of each 8 of each??? Madflyer

OP
dbenichou289

dbenichou289

I received one of the 1.43", 3 of the 1.5" and 4 of the 1.625. So at this point I am not sure which is correct.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did you get valves also and the correct stem size if so seats fit valves not yet ground. If you have removed old seats the new ones will need to be ground to fit hole in head. apox .003 plus each pocket in head may be different plus or min. The four the same would be intake and the four cut to fit to say . Note they are just harden steel ring and after setting into head and ground to valves ( three step ) they become as we would call them valves seats. I looked around the web and found little info. as to parts locations. Did you look at You Tube?? I went to a class on setting seats on a Jag head each seat was ground to head hole non were the same. Now Jag heads are alum. and the head was heated to 500 deg. F Madflyer

OP
dbenichou289

dbenichou289

I have not removed the old ones yet. I would prefer to begin with having a complete set of matching rings. The valves are in great shape so I was looking at reusing. I am replacing the valve guides to the bronze ones.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The standard valve heads are 1.56" intake and 1.30" exhaust. I assume you are having the seats installed by a shop, so I would recommend you let the shop handle the decision. I assume the 1.43's and 1.5's would work for the exhaust, but the 1.6's may be getting on the large side to risk cutting into the intake valve seat. Seats are not hard to get in any size, so I let my machine shop buy and install them. Guides are the same...nothing special in our guides, so any shop can buy and replace those too.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I did some checking around and the best I got was a name and number so call this parts guy. Steve Old farts ( may be PH not F )British parts 714-686-1236.
CJD has your best way to go. When I had my head done at the shop (TR6 ) I gave them the head new valves and springs guides so all to match I did grind valves and seats my self and installed all to head 25 years and still running well. NOTE Doing the work yourself has it's own rewards doing it twice is not one of them. Just saying Hope Steve can help. Madflyer

OP
dbenichou289

dbenichou289

Thanks for the info guys. I am working on this with a machine shop and they are letting me be involved in the process. Part of the learning curve is letting me pick out the parts required so I am as hands on as possible. Will reach out to the number listed for additional info.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Very good I did the same. Lessons learned are easily past on as wisdom or caution. When you say DYI people listen. Madflyer