• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trans Axle Parts

Grady

Country flag
Question - Is there any value/interest/need for the casings of a Trans Axle that I believe came out of a Europa? The gear train is rusted solid but the outer bits look OK. One side has the casting #7700521288; I took a picture of the other side but I can't read the number. Or should I bin the whole thing.

Back Story - 18 years ago I bought a weekend house from the daughter of the original owner ("OO"). I learned that the OO was an engineer and a tinkerer. All kinds of weird bits and pieces in his shop. Under the bench was the disassembled trans axle and a box of nuts and bolts all pretty rusty. I also learned that the OO had owned a Europa (year unknown) which was believed to be stored "in a garage around here someplace". I never found the car but I still have the trans axle. I assume since the case was split, it was either damaged or the OO planned to 'improve' it. I also know the OO was blind for some time before he passed so that might have impacted his project.

I finally needed the space, so last weekend I pulled it out and gave it a hit with the pressure washer to get rid of the years of sawdust, dust and surface rust. As noted, the gear train appears to be rusted solid (although I haven't tried to lubricate/PT Blast it). Can the gears even be removed if they don't turn at all?

I have 2 TVR Wedges so I don't need the trans axle. I don't know of any LBC jumbles here (Houston/La Porte TX). So I'm left with binning it or selling it on eBay. And I'm a little wary of eBay since I don't know anything about these parts and it seems that buyers have become a more contentious lot.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks Grady

Last edited:

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
If it is from a Europa, it is a Renault box. There were 3 models fitted, 2 4-speed and 1 5-speed, as standard. There have been others fitted by enthusiasts since, though.

I have a Europa TC with a slightly damaged casing so might be interested if it's the right model. Can you publish a photo, taken from the rear, please? Or, if it has survived, let us know what it says on a small aluminium disk on the back of the box? I'm not very far from you, I think.

OP
G

Grady

Country flag
I'll take some more pictures this weekend. I don't think the disk survived. And you are just down the road.

OP
G

Grady

Country flag
Here are the pictures, It was a gray day.
Back 1.jpgBack 2.jpgCase A1.jpgCase A2.jpgCase A3.jpgCase A4.jpgCase A5.jpgCase B6.jpgCase B7.jpgCase B8.jpgCase B11.jpgCase B12.jpgPlate 1.jpgPlate 2.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Four speed, innards appear knackered for sure. Possibly a soak in ATF would loosen 'em up to disassemble. But unless the shift linkage could be smoothed of rust it looks as if it would broach-cut the case on removal. Oddly, the speedo drive gear appears intact!

Quite a shame, really.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Pity. I'd hoped it might supply me a casting or two, but it's the wrong type.
Good luck with it!

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I rebuilt the trans. in my 1967 MG B that used the MG A trans I was given three A that had been laying around out side for years because of the non syn first. non were that bad and between the four I got enough good parts and only had to buy bearings. I think you have a door stop. Madflyer

OP
G

Grady

Country flag
Kind of figured that but wanted to check. Besides 4 speed, what would this be called as I may try the smaller bits on eBay? Thanks!

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
It's an incomplete Renault type 336 gearbox.
I could think of other things to call it, but they wouldn't be polite!

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Grady, sorry but you've been misled, that is a Renault 365 box, not complete but a 5 speed. You can see the fifth gear slider in the rear case and the shafts extend to the rear beyond the rear case gasket surface on the main case. That is some serious rust though. The rear case may be worth something to someone with a busted rear, since that happened when someone backed into a curb. I have a disassembled 365 in my garage, and one in my TCS. Too bad about the gear set.
Jerry Rude
4005R

Europa TCS

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have a leaky rear cover on my 365. Leaking around the shaft for the reverse/5th gear detent. It had apparently been repaired before I bought it, but during the recent reassembly of the drive-train, it was found to be broken again. They added epoxy to the original repair, but still a slight leak. Based on the rust in the pictures, do those of you with more mechanical knowledge than I have think this case is usable if all my internal parts and shafts were moved over to it?
Thanks, John

OP
G

Grady

Country flag
If you can send me a picture/illustration of the area in question, I can look at it and/or photograph it next weekend.

Europa TCS

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks, I am away from home until the end of the month. Your pictures of the rear cover look like what I need, I just don’t know if the rusted parts in your picture are easily replaced by my parts from inside my leaking rear case.

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It appears all 3 shafts in the rear case are in place, and dissimilar metal corrosion may have seized them in place. Carefully try to extract the shafts, the lower one (shift shaft) should twist and pull out forward. The shaft with the little rocker I think has a bolt in it from the rear. The fifth gear shift shaft, which is the one with the brass u shaped piece on it (name escapes me for the moment) is held in with a ball/spring in the detent and should pull right out. Be careful though, don't push it. If seized, then soak with a penetrating fluid, and you may want to heat the housing (no more that 250F) to see if that will loosen things. The shift shaft has a bushing in there that is replaceable, along with a seal so that is repairable. The other two are steel to aluminum, no bushings but may be able to have some installed if the holes are out of round. These things are made of unobtainium, so be careful.

Jerry Rude
4005R