Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Starter

New owner here,
    the car starts every time but the first to fourth start it just gives up after a brief crank. Itíll then crank a good spin then start.
    battery is new and Iíve checked the battery terminals.
    any opinions on the high torque starters Iíve seen advertised?
    thanks Dave Walsh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Re: Starter

I don't know anyone who bought a geared high torque starter for their Healey and wishes they didn't. Mine got rid of similar starting issues. Make sure the ground cable from the starter body to the frame is clean and tight and that the wiring from the solenoid on the firewall to the starter is in proper condition. The original starters weren't so great to begin with but if everything is sorted they shold work. Worn brushes, dirty commutator are also possibilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

O/T--a little--but are the high-torque starters available for positive ground vehicles? According to this:

https://www.precisionmicrodrives.com...rs-reversible/

... they can be wired either way, but starter motors are usually grounded to the engine and/or transmission, so if a negative polarity motor is grounded to a positive earth Healey it would cause significant problems, no? It's early in the morning, and I haven't had my full infusion of coffee so I can't wrap my head around this--yet--but if anyone has practical experience please fill us in (it appears that if the -gnd motor was wired 'stock' it would turn backward, but no one I know that has done the conversion has mentioned this).

This site indicates it may or may not be an issue--Healey in the banner--good sign!--Moss doesn't make a distinction:

https://www.powerlite-units.com/high...er-motors.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I think that unless the starter is made with permanent magnets you would have to reverse the field and armature polarity independently. This can be done if there are permanent magnets in the starter and it would spin backwards. I also think most starters are not built that way (anymore) so the polarity of the field and armature are always going to cause the motor to spin the same way, regardless of how the battery is connected. A bench test would bear this out......so, it just happens I have my high torque starter off for the 5 speed conversion I'm doing and I just tested it. Spins the same direction either way. No permanent magnets. I would guess all of these starters are made the same way. I don't know how many manufacturers there are so your mileage may vary.
    Jon Robbins
    1956BN-2 (do it all yourself, you'll be glad you did)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

When one switches the polarity on a Healey, the generator has to repolarized, but not the starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Turney View Post
    When one switches the polarity on a Healey, the generator has to repolarized, but not the starter.
    yep 12VDC is 12VDC it doesnt care which way round its wired to spin .
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

According to the source above, at least some starters are polarity sensitive (permanent magnets, perhaps?):

"All Powerlite starters are direct replacement for original units and require no modifications to the vehicle on which they are installed, as they work for both positive and negative polarity (Except the Slimline and MicroStart Range)."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    According to the source above, at least some starters are polarity sensitive (permanent magnets, perhaps?):

"All Powerlite starters are direct replacement for original units and require no modifications to the vehicle on which they are installed, as they work for both positive and negative polarity (Except the Slimline and MicroStart Range)."
    Interesting that they don't show a choice for positive or negative ground for the Slimline starter on their website.
    John, BN4

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

My thought was more along the lines of 'WTF?' The Slimline is probably the one I'd go for if I was interested, or if my OEM ones couldn't do the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

All my cars have been converted to neg Ground but retained the original staters as some others have indicated made no difference.
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

DC motors have a predetermined direction due to field and brush rigging. It does not effect if battery lead in pos neg. you would have to rotate brush rigging to change direction. NOTE a generator is also a motor but as it is turned by say belts it becomes a rotating armature in a magnet field so volts are produced. Testing of a generator can be done on a bench and if good will run as a motor. Even out of the box a started should be bench tested why install it twice. Madflyer