• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Late Wiper/Washer Switch - What Happened?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
APOLOGIES FOR POSTING THIS THREAD TWICE.

Anyone know why this switch is "NA"?

screenshot.2476.jpg

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's no longer supplied by the original supplier to Triumph/BL. Rimmer Bros and Revington TR out of the UK do offer a replacement for the 155496 switch available from Lucas. Revington TR had a note that the shaft on the Lucas switch is shorter than that of the original and that the dash/fascia will need to be modified to use the switch. I did not see (or notice if it was there) a similar note on the Rimmer Bros listing. Both of these sources offer it under the part number 155496LUCAS. There is a similar situation on the wiper and washer switches for the early TR6. Those were made by an outfit named Clear Hooters that has gone Tango Uniform. There are very similar Lucas switches available for the early TR6 but the dash must be modified to fit those Lucas switches. I'm kind of surprised that Roadster doesn't have that Lucas switch listed for the late TR6 since they have done some stuff in the past in coordination with Revington.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The Moss replacement looked like a good item and a direct replacement. Guess I'll call them and ask about it.

Revington was going to charge 50# to ship (!!!) so I blew it off. Rain-X for the time being.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Moss replacement looked like a good item and a direct replacement. Guess I'll call them and ask about it.

Revington was going to charge 50# to ship (!!!) so I blew it off. Rain-X for the time being.

Wow, wonder when they decided to up their shipping charges, 50ÂŁ just to ship a switch is much more than I had ever paid them to ship small parts before.

I went to the Moss and the Moss Europe pages to see what they said about that switch, note that unlike Moss US, Moss Europe uses Triumph/BL part numbers for the most part. Moss Europe lists the Lucas switch as well under 155496Z, then cross reference it to the 155496 that is a reproduction of the original Clear Hooter switch fitted to the car. Moss Europe also shows the reproduction Clear Hooter switch to be on backorder. Is this a terminal backorder or not? Hard to say but that may be the reason that Moss US just shows it as NA/not available.

Now here comes another fun part, even if you could readily get your hands on one, the reproduction of the Clear Hooter switch is not just a plug and play replacement. Per this bit from Moss US ( https://mossmotors.com/media/instructions/635-772_155496_INST.pdf ) you will need to snip some terminals off your wiring harness and replace them per those instructions. I can also say from the voice of bad experience that you will need to double check the size of the hex shaft as well. The originals were 1/4" hex. I have seen reproduction parts where the hex has been changed to 6mm which is just a bit smaller, just enough smaller to where the knobs will fall off. I can't say with any certainty one way or the other if that is a problem with the hex size on this part, just that I have seen other parts where it was a problem.