• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 LED instrument conversion / Dimmer.

EWD

Country flag
Considering switching to LED’s for my instrument panel. Can I just simply cut out the dimmer? Is there a nice replacement for the hole : ie: clock? Any considerations and thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Will

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I already installed led’s in all the gauges but I’m considering eliminating the rheostat. Instead of removing the rheostat I’m going to leave it in the dash and bypass it so the dash retains its original look.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Thx. Elliott. Did you use the direct bulb replacement or new sockets, etc.? Also, can the rheostat simply be not reconnected?
will

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thx. Elliott. Did you use the direct bulb replacement or new sockets, etc.? Also, can the rheostat simply be not reconnected?
will

Just FYI - litezupp.com has the complete LED bulb set for the TR6 for $65. These will plug directly into the existing sockets. All of the illuminating dash lights are fed via the dimmer so simply disconnecting it will also disconnect the bulbs. The solution is to merely connect the two wires on either side of the dimmer to each other, thereby removing the dimmer from the circuit. It shouldn't be said, but I will anyway; make sure the new connection is sound and well insulated.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Conundrum--with the LED conversion I assume the instrument lights will be brighter and you might actually want to use a dimmer sometimes.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Many thanks to all.
Ned, just checked llitezupp. Looks like the best way to go. Noticed green LED’s are listed. I assume you pull the green filters out of the gauges?
Will

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Many thanks to all.
Ned, just checked llitezupp. Looks like the best way to go. Noticed green LED’s are listed. I assume you pull the green filters out of the gauges?
Will

Hi Will. Considered them, but no, I didn't install them in the gauges so I can comment on the esthetics. But on a side note, I have done the entire exterior (except for the flashers) and noticed a helpful improvement. The rear red parking lights in particular are more visible as are the brake lights. Replacing just those eight bulbs yielded a noticeable improvement from the alternator.

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
IMG_1304.jpgIMG_1303.jpg
Just a note, don't mix LED's non-LED's on the same circuit, such-as Rear Taillights and Front Running lights. LED's don't like to pair with incandescents.

Rod

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You could have fooled me....I put 1157 base tail/brake light LED's in my TR6 several years ago and aside from the recent installation of LED head lights, they ae the only LED's in my external lighting.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My dimmer has never worked and that's ok with me. Probably more trouble than its worth to try and fix it. A royal PITA every time you have to take the tach or speedo out of the dash - bubs pull out of the sockets, etc.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Do the screw in LED's fit in the Tach and Speedo ok without hitting the green deflectors? Have rebuilt my instruments and getting ready to install. Using the original sockets and hopefully the new bulbs will fit. Best source? Looking at litefzupp, but it appears that there Triumph interior package has green LED's. Guess I could switch to white if they fit properly.
Thx
Will

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The E10 base bulbs I used fit fine in the speedo and tach.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Thx Elliot. Checked these out per your Amazon link and they are certainly a good price and the size is right. With the dash out and everything exposed, it’s an easy upgrade now. Checked the reviews and noticed that the main complaint among a few folks was that they were having problems with a quick burnout. You had any problems?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I haven’t experienced any burnout and they have been in about two years.
However, I don’t do much nighttime driving so it’s hard to know.

72djm76dkm

Freshman Member
Country flag
I converted my '76 TR6 to all LED bulbs including all of my gauges. West Valley Instruments installed LED strips in the gauges which made a huge difference in light intensity. The bulbs in the tach (red ignition lamp and the yellow oil pressure lamp) remain incandescent. The bulbs in the speedo (blue hi-beam and green turn signal) are LED. I had my rheostat converted to solid state and can now dim the gauge lights from fully bright to off. I also had all of my gauges restored and calibrated by West Valley. Glad I had it done, but wasn't cheap!

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Elliot why did you go with green bulbs? Got may dash all apart to remove heater motor. Wiring oil soaked from oil pressure gauge leaking. Anyway decided to convert bulbs while i have easy access to all gauges.
I'm thinking of going white and a bit concerned that they my be too bright. I like 72djm76dkm converting to a digital rheostat. Wonder where he got that done. Now not all LEDs are dimmable. Do you know if yours are? I also saw on the listing a cool white bulb and wonder if it's not as bright.