• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kickin' an' screamin'...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...into the twenty-first century!

Just got a new DSLR camera, Nikon D7500. I can use my old glass on it, so the AF 'short' zoom DX 18-55mm it came with will be the only AF lens for a while. Not out there chasin' ambulances or a Pulitzer any more, so this should serve well enough. Still not that enthusiastic about battery dependent cameras, but with a couple on-board spares it should be okay. For the last decade or so the only DSLR's here have been Fuji "Fine Pix" fixed-lens, point-n-shoot ones. And a Fuji S-2 Pro that accepts Nikon mount glass. But that thing EATS batteries and finally started to malfunction. Too frustrating, not worth sending out for repair.

Digging thru a camera bag, found a spare 55mm UV filter for the AF zoom. No good hood, tho. And the Nikon trade-dress strap will go in a drawer, replaced with a low-key and more practical one.

Been putting this off for a long time, the rapid advances in digital imaging make it expensive to keep up. Particularly if one is not earning a living with it.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
UV filter will help save your glass. I have one - but it's for my old Canon film FT.
Always carry a spare battery in the case. You do have a case, don't you?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
...into the twenty-first century!

Just got a new DSLR camera, Nikon D7500. I can use my old glass on it, so the AF 'short' zoom DX 18-55mm it came with will be the only AF lens for a while. Not out there chasin' ambulances or a Pulitzer any more, so this should serve well enough. Still not that enthusiastic about battery dependent cameras, but with a couple on-board spares it should be okay. For the last decade or so the only DSLR's here have been Fuji "Fine Pix" fixed-lens, point-n-shoot ones. And a Fuji S-2 Pro that accepts Nikon mount glass. But that thing EATS batteries and finally started to malfunction. Too frustrating, not worth sending out for repair.

Digging thru a camera bag, found a spare 55mm UV filter for the AF zoom. No good hood, tho. And the Nikon trade-dress strap will go in a drawer, replaced with a low-key and more practical one.

Been putting this off for a long time, the rapid advances in digital imaging make it expensive to keep up. Particularly if one is not earning a living with it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DSLRs! Hopefully you won't be stricken with my ailment - an incurable condition known as GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. This could be me:

402020-gas.jpg

Attachments

• Most Gear.jpg
    Most Gear.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
HA! For me to lay out all the photo gear I've got it would occupy five times the area in that pic. More money spent on photographic equipment than my house.

Remember: from the age of sixteen or so I was earning most of my living with photography. First it was Miranda systems, then in my late teens/early twenties, went to Nikons. Still have most of that stuff and much, much more. Need a bellows for either system? Got 'em. One of my original FtN's, and F-2, F-3HP, FE... fixed length glass from 21mm through to 400, a couple zoom lenses as well. Cases and bags, different sizes so as to accommodate the particular jobs without "overkill" or the "Oh drat! I didn't bring the <whatever>!" Also in the pile is a Mamiya 2¼" square TLR and three lenses for that. Half a dozen flash units, reflector brollies, other lighting rig. Too much stuff, most obsolete now! Especially the darkroom gear. A ton of that, as well.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I remember in early 2000s having to develop pictures in the field to ensure we got good a shot of what we needed to take a pic of during an operation or training event. Nice bag with holes for head Nd arms and small containers to put the rolls of film in the required fluids, etc. Pain in the butt. DSLRs were a massive improvement along with being able to send and edit pics over small laptops in the field. Just make sure you turn the **** screen and flash off when trying to be sneaky and taking pics at night...

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
And you can "chimp" to your heart's content.
For those not familiar with digital cameras, chimping is looking at your photo immediately after taking the picture. Called that because some people get all excited about seeing their pictures and jump up and down like a chimpanzee. Frowned on by better photographers but everybody does it. Experienced photographers KNOW when they got the shot...until they don't.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I remember in early 2000s having to develop pictures in the field to ensure we got good a shot of what we needed to take a pic of during an operation or training event. Nice bag with holes for head Nd arms and small containers to put the rolls of film in the required fluids, etc. Pain in the butt. DSLRs were a massive improvement along with being able to send and edit pics over small laptops in the field. Just make sure you turn the **** screen and flash off when trying to be sneaky and taking pics at night...

A "changing bag". Carried one in the trunk when working for the local newspaper as a kid. Along with the chemistry to process the film. Allowed the photo department to have "the money shot" printed before the story's type was set.

Can't relate the details of the experience here, but it happened pre-digital. 1968. I was hired by a private investigator to get evidence of a cheating doctor's wife... it was a "one shot" deal. At night. Suffice it to say the doctor was granted his divorce, no conditions attached.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Most of the Nikon "stuff" with the new DSLR at the front. Have a couple other zooms left out. My 14" wok and pizza stone in back...

Collection.JPG

Been playin' around to test the old F-mount glass with the DSLR body. 200mm ∱3.0 and a 135mm ∱2.0 among those primes.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Most of the Nikon "stuff" with the new DSLR at the front. Have a couple other zooms left out. My 14" wok and pizza stone in back...

Been playin' around to test the old F-mount glass with the DSLR body. 200mm ∱3.0 and a 135mm ∱2.0 among those primes.

I can use my old FD lenses on my Canons with adaptor, but Auto Focus of course won't work.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Glad to see you're getting back into it Doc. sounds like you'll be multiplying all your lenses by 1.5. How does the 7500 deal with Fstop on the older glass?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So far I've found no way for the metering to even "suggest" an f-stop setting. Experience and "guesstimating" are what I've used to this point. Haven't tried much yet but did notice when in manual mode and AF off, if it gets an ISO setting other than 100, the shutter will not release... found that strange. So to this point I'm locked into ISO 100 and I can set shutter speed. The f-stop is up to me to set on the lens. If it were really critical to get a good exposure, looks like a light meter might come in handy when the non-automagic lenses are used.

EDIT: And bein' an "old guy" the geolocation thing is a bit annoying.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MGB200atf56.JPG

Just put the 135 ∱2.0 on it and set shutter speed at 200, stopped down to ∱5.6 and shot the back of the white MG in direct sunlight and some shadow. Looks great. Used GIMP to fuss out the tag.

Reminds me of the times when a student would ask how you determine the right f-stop. I'd put an index finger in my mouth, pull it out and stick it into the air to proclaim "F-8!"... first confusion. Then laughter.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hmmm, that ISO100 would be a deal breaker for me. My D610s have a menu setting where I select all my AIS lens. Focal length and f wide open value. Once they're programmed, I push a button and spin the primary dial to scroll through the different lenses. The on-board metering works then. The menu item is "Non CPU lens"

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Interesting. I'll run through menus and see if AIS lenses are included. That "Non CPU lens" choice may be in the settings or not. Now I'm curious!
Your D610 is a much "higher" model.

I've seen Nikon, Luminex, Olympus and all the rest run the race to get to a point where they dominate. Nikkor have fairly won that contest, not surprisingly.

But that Soligor 135MM, hand-held shot of the butt-end of the MG is sharp to 300% before pixelation shows up. In he RAW image the tag number on the yellow renewal sticker is totally readable. And that lens is a relic!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I gotta look to see if this thing has the same option.

EDIT: Nope. No such choice in the D7500 menu.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
PM sent!

Just tried again to change ISO in manual mode. It worked fine. Last time I tried I must have done something else to disable the release... no idea what.

Last edited:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Using DSLR in manual mode is infuriating. I have a Nikon D5600(?), and even in “fully manual” mode it likes to think a little for me. My wife uses it for work (dental stuff) and the fiddling she has to do with a patient in the chair is incredible.

Bring back my Rollei, thank you very much!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mike said:
... My wife uses it for work (dental stuff) and the fiddling she has to do with a patient in the chair is incredible....

I'm actually comfortable using this DSLR in manual mode. P'raps if your wife had an older, non-AF 55mm micro-nikkor and a ring light, she could do some test shots (establish distance and ∱-stop) first and streamline the process considerably.

Just a random thought.