• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An early start in the British Car World

Mort66

Freshman Member
Hi to all those reading this,
My first car was an MGA. I was 18 and just got out of high school. I had worked for two summers and saved up the money to purchase my first car. At first I wasn't looking for a MGA, but rather a Mustang Convertible. My good friends older brother had just purchased an MGA, and it looked great and a lot of fun. I found one for sale in San Francisco, and ended up buying it. I drove it for two years, and it was a lot of fun!

The Vietnam War was going on, and rather than be drafted, I decided to enlist in the Air Force and select my own fate. My Tech School was Ground Radio Maintenance in Biloxi, Mississippi for 18 months. While I was gone, my father had sold my MG. I had a chance to buy another one in Biloxi. I went in 50/50 with my roommate and my second MGA adventure began. I worked on the minor maintenance and sold my share in the car after 16 months as I got new orders. I was going to Sacramento, California to my next Base assignment.

As it turned out, I stayed in Sacramento for two plus years until I was discharged. I had gotten a good electrical background in the service and ended up entering the 4-year Apprenticeship to become a Construction Electrician. I had been married for a little over a year and we were looking for a second car. So this time I decided to upgrade to a 1966 Austin Healey BJ8. We still have the Healey.

My sister got married and her husband had a 1961 MGA 1600. In had been in his family since new, passing it on from one child to another. He was the youngest, and ended up with the car. It was pretty run down, both mechanically and cosmetically. The car was in Half Moon Bay, next to the Pacific Ocean, with a lot of salt air. The car was running rough, and as it just sat there, the engine quit all together. She gave me a call, and I tried to get it running for them again, but the engine appeared to be frozen. There was rust, body damage and the interior and top were in bad shape. They sold me the car as is. I loved working on cars as a hobby, and thought I could save this old one.

I stripped my new project down to the frame. Surprisingly, it still had good bones. I began the restoration system by system. Mechanically, it is now almost complete. I still need to finish some minor bodywork and have the car painted. I have the new interior; carpet, seats, and door panels purchased but not installed.

I guess you could say I got the bug early and it has stayed with me.

Thanks
Mort66

I

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My brother and I both had MGAs back when they were new. Mine was a Twin-Cam. One of the better looking sports cars. Post a few pictures of your work.

OP
M

Mort66

Freshman Member
pdplot,

As I said, I had the MGA for my 1st car, my best friend through high school had a TR3. I started my driving experience in a time when it was common to see the British Cars being driven as daily drivers.

Mort66

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Mort66

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the MG section a great help to you on your MGA restoration.

Post some photos of the MGA.

David