• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Boot floor

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I am still working on the back half of the car but started a new thread for the boot floor.
original boot floor.jpgoriginal boot floor, lots of rust
passenger boot floor.jpgpassenger boot floor driver boot floor.jpgdriver boot floor
boot floor removed.jpgboot floor removed, what a battle seems like thousands of spot welds. They must have been payed by the spot weld, that is why there are so many spot welds.
new hammer formed boot floor.jpgNew hammer formed boot floor. This is the initial fit, I have some minor adjustments to make but very happy with my panel and how it fits. Still have the flange to weld on where it meets the wheel inner wings, fuel tank mounting nuts, fuel line holes to punch, brackets that mount the fuel tank fuel cover panel. A lot still to do but on the right track, Hopefully starting to put it back together. Frank

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Frank,
Just make sure the rear end is all squared up before you make the final attachment of the boot floor, my car had been side swiped in an earlier life and there was tension released when i took the left hand sill off the B pillar moved forward about a 1/4 inch. I didn't find it until I went to fit the door, I had the top set with a support but not the bottom. H ad to mess with it for a long time to get it sorted.

Graham

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Nice job Frank, I did that on 1961 I restored; it was many years ago. For me it was good lesson on what I could do. When I did it, I supported the spare tire and started chipping, grind, and cutting out around the spare tire compartment. I thought any minute the spare tire would pull down from gravity and rip apart the rear apron before I got the new floor in, but now I have seen cars where they have taken out the trunk floor and have access to the spare from the trunk side and the car seems to stay together. I must have not understood the engineering.
steve

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

Thank you John and Steve, The boot floor is coming along well. This is a large panel that has take a lot of hammering to get it this far. Now I am doing the detail work, the fit is good now. I have holes to punch, Wire T shaped thingies to make and spot weld, the flange that gets spot welded to the inner wings are ready to weld to the boot floor. Once all this is done we can look at welding the spare tire pan to the boot floor and all the rest of the spot welding to be done. Hope to be putting it back together soon. Frank

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yes you are right. I thought the same thing, all the neat panel work is all covered up. Starting to get a little chilly at night, hope the spring rain has slowed down for you.

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you David. More progress on the boot floor. I got the T shaped wiring harness holders (not sure what they are called) cut out, deburred and ready to be spot welded to the boot floor. Removed the fuel tank nuts from the old boot floor and they are sand blasted and ready to be spot welded to the boot floor. Holes punched in the boot floor, not sure what goes thru each hole yet but it matches the original and I confirmed some holes that were not original were eliminated. In a video of Tush"s 60 TR3 you can clearly see the holes in the boot floor. welded the inner wing flange to the boot floor but not real happy with the fit so part of it will be redone to correct the fit. Now the million dollar question, My original boot floor only has the passenger side tab that the panel behind the fuel tank attaches to. The only part that is left is the bottom of the angle that is spot welded to the boot floor. I know it is not critical but I would like to be as close to original as I can. I could use the dimensions for the height of the tabs and the width of the middle tab. I thought when I got it formed up I was close to being done with this panel but there are a lot of do dads that have to be added before it can be welded in. no rush on this, I will be away for the weekend. Frank

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
trunk floor.jpgAre these the tabs you are looking at? They are 3/4 angle 18 ga the outer ones 5 inches and the middle 8 inches. I didn't note the distance from the front seam but can do if this is what you need. Nice work on your floor too.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, Tom has that covered with his picture. Do you need a picture of the gas tank strap fixed nut? If so, I have one of the nuts and the support it is welded to somewhere, it is in my shop. but should not be too difficult to find. The nut is basically welded under the floor sitting in a U shaped channel.
steve

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you, Tom and Steve. Great work, that is exactly what I needed. I have the location of the tabs, just needed the size of the angle. The gas tank nuts were intact so I am reusing them and have the location of them as well. Help like this is what makes this forum the best. Frank

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I am very pleased with the fit of the boot floor. I have gotten very good at taking it out and putting it in. The fuel tank nuts are spot welded to the underside of the floor. The tabs for the bulk head panel are plug welded to the top side of the floor. Got the two out of order. The fuel tank nuts get in the way of spot welding the bulk head tabs. I am doing a lot of checking to make sure everything is lining up and cleaning up all the mating flanges before I start welding the boot floor. All looks good so far but have to make sure, don’t want to cause a problem down the road. I do not have the panel that goes behind the fuel tank. I am a little confused about this panel and the one that is in front of the fuel tank. Which one or both have the metal strip at the top of the panel? Frank

Last edited:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think there's a lip on the tonneau for the rear panel and the trunk panel screws into it. I don't know it that is the metal strip you refer to. There are clips on the forward part of the tonneau for the forward panel. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance unless someone else is quicker.
Tom

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
underside of boot floor.jpgunderside of boot floor with fuel tank nuts spot welded.
boot floor with bulk head tabs.jpgtop side of boot floor with bulk head panel tabs welded.
upper bulk head tabs.jpgcenter and right tab that is attached to the under side of the rear scuttle, valance, tonneau (not sure correct term). all three tabs have one hole from where the panel was screwed to the tabs.
bulk head template.jpgThis is a rough start. Best I can tell from past post on the forum the wood panel should extend a little higher and there is a metal strip that is riveted to the wood panel. The metal part has a brake in it to match the angle of the tabs that it screws to. There has also been a mention that there are I think 3 versions of this panel so I am not sure which one I need but since I have the tabs to mount to the one I described Is what I think I need. I have not seen one or a picture of one, I am just winging it for now. I have some 3/16" thick tempered masonite that is very ridgid and also has a textured surface that sounds similar to one description that said this panel did not come with any kind of final covering, just painted black. I have a lot more important things to be working on but while I am in this area I would like to take care of as much as I can while I am thinking about it and not have to come back later and start the thought process over. Once the carousel stops it is hard to get it back going. Frank

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's amazing work Frank, can't believe you made that panel. The tank cover panel from Moss is a cardboard type of material with a textured black finish, when I got it they had stuck there part description sticker on the side you see which pulled the surface off when I removed it, not cleaver.

Graham

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you Graham I hate to hear this. You pay hard earned money to get a part that is ruined because a supplier is not thinking. Still your car is very impressive. It is the guys that have finished their cars and continue to help the ones working on their cars that keeps me plugging away, dreaming of the day I get to drive my car and one day get to help the next guys working on their cars. Frank

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Well it looks like I may be mistaken about the metal strip across the top. After making a template it looks like a flat panel will fit against all the mounting tabs and will be attached with screws. I will make a luan test panel tomorrow to have a better idea about this. The cardboard and hot glue should get me close for now. Frank
boot bulkhead template.jpg

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Not very timely and perhaps moot at this point, but here are the pics I promised.
Facing forward:
boot 1.jpg
And facing aft:
boot 2.jpg