• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OK, which one of you has been flying your jetpack?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not me - mine has Lucas wiring so it's in the shop

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wonder if doc made a CAB run?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
1931.jpg

Good luck to the pilot that reported this, they'll probably pull him in for a psych eval. Remember when they said by now we'd all be flying around in a jetpack. Can you imagine hundreds of thousands of people flying around with no traffic controls smashing into each other?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So you’re saying it was doc after all. :rolleye:

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Theres pic floating around as well about it. The technology is epic and could have tremendous applications on the battlefield or high rise rescue, etc.... seems at the moment it's only good for making pilots need a change of underwear.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Strange that no one ON THE GROUND, yet, has reported seeing or hearing it. As I recall, these hydrogen-peroxide-based rocket-packs are really loud (hissing).

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The New Yorker had a cartoon many years ago showing businessmen commuting on flying platforms all over the sky and one saying "You know, I still miss the 5:15".

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Weren't we all supposed to using these by now?

leroy.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I remember seeing this guy fly his jetpack at the 1964 Worlds Fair.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Fun... and then I saw some related videos:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
As dangerous as these jet-packs are, I'd try one WAY AHEAD of the "Hopicopter" from the 1940s. Here are 2 shots I took at the Pima Air Museum in Tuscon.
Hopicopter 2.jpg
Hopicopter.JPG

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Interesting. At the altitudes reported it would seem someone has found a way to extend flight duration. Or wears a BIG-arse (tandem jump?) parachute.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Probably more dangerous a couple of hundred feet above the ground - too close for a parachute and just high enough to kill you if it quits - as you KNOW it will sooner or later.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
With new base jumping rigs and reserve deployment systems, you could have a parachute over your head in as little as 100 feet. Velocity dependent, etc. The flying system could be chopped with it's own canopy deployment system If needed.