• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from Idaho

Ralph_in_Idaho

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just jointed the BCF. My wife and I are in the process of acquiring a 1973 Triumph TR6 and I know that forums like this are a great place to meet people and share questions and answers. We have a lot to learn about the car. If you are ever visiting southern Idaho, please let me know. We can share stories and a favorite beverage.
Ralph

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
WELCOME From Reno Nevada been there enjoy your State two trips to Moscow British car meet two years ago and June this year for a river Vacation. As for TR 6 1973 That what mine is for the last 25 plus years so any questions fire away. I did a frame up 1993 so mine is old again so this spring summer after returning from Moscow went through front to rear cooling motor leaks new radiator OEM . all trans seals new clutch new windscreen all new carpets dash lights to LED's all hoses and clamps thermostat geared starter. The Idaho British car clubs are great people. Madflyer Cheers Mate My door is open if your are this way ( well not during C 19 But you get it ) You can post on Private or E mail

OP
R

Ralph_in_Idaho

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks, Madflyer. We know Moscow well. Spent 35 years there. Sounds like you have a wealth of experience on the '73. We're just learning. The Idaho British Car Club in Boise has been a great resource. I have a question, but maybe I should post it in a specific thread. My question is how can a 5'2" person comfortably drive a TR6, especially the clutch? My wife really wants to drive the car, but she cannot push the clutch to the floor even with the stock seat fully forward. Any thoughts?
And thanks for replying to my introduction.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Idaho The seat tracks are set for taller people for sure and the bolts have welded nut under floor pan they are 1/4 x 28 x 1 1/4 fine threads and I use SS bolts for rust. As she may also need to see over the wheel also. you could add a 1 x 1 square filler and drill and mount same try not to change floor. For one lady I made stand off so seat tilted forward with longer bolts she added a pillow for her back. As you may want to drive also where is your seat set?? 2 nd problem is TR6 have a 14 inch steering wheel so leg may be tight to wheel. I have a 12 inch wheel same OEM and leather ( Moto Lita ) More leg room for in and out plus it gives more room between door and wheel. On long road run my knee fits there. Note parking is a bit harder due to tire foot print. There is not munch you can do about the peddles but you can adjust the clutch at the slave cyl to lowest hole of the three for softer pressure. My wife and the same lady took the two TR 6's from Reno to Portland for the British car meet and home Two woman two TR 6's no problem. Seat forward small wheel she did fine I took another car after work. You say this is your first LBC ( Little British Car ) GREAT drive it! trust it! with some questions and a little care top down the road is yours. Wife driving same GOOD ON YOU. Madflyer

triumph73kill@att.net contact any time I am up this time of night as to E mail UK

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ralph Tell us about your TR and pic if you can. Running, well driven, restored, good price, West Coast car, did someone look at it, had it been parked for a time and how long, tires new. We would like to know what cars are out there. I get call looking for TR like you must have to someone. Right now I am looking for a TR 4 for a guy ( driver ) like he had in school so if you here about one contact me. Madflyer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Being short, I raised the seat up about 3" with wood blocks drilled out for longer bolts. There are extensions available for the clutch and brake pedals. I can reach ok. You can't move the seat closer because the steering wheel is - like a lot of English cars - already very close to your chest.

OP
R

Ralph_in_Idaho

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thank you to all for your suggestions about the seat rails. We were looking at the TR6 to purchase it and went back to examine the seat situation again. As it turns out, the current owner had new floor carpeting installed at a local body shop. The overlap of the front and rear portion of the new carpets and the thick underlayment had created such a bulge that the seat was prevented from going all the way forward. The fix is to remove some of the underlayment allowing the carpet to not bulget so much. The seat will then slide past the overlap in the carpet. The current owner had never needed to put the seat forward, so the carpet installation error went undetected.

Its great to join a group of enthusiasts who take the time to reply to a newby.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The TR group seem to be the most active and have a lot of knowledge and open to most any questions and Basil is great also. Madflyer I am just full of it S**^ or knowledge your call HA HA CHEERS