• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Web page "notifications"

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my umteenth question about websites.

In the last hour, I've gone to about a dozen news sites. On first hitting the site, all but one popped up a window asking something like "We'd like to show you notifications for the latest news, features, and update. No Thanks? Allow?".

Of course, you can't see the actual web page unless you click one of the two choices.

I wondered if anyone knows what happens if you say "yes". Does that mean you've added an extension to the browser allowing bazillions of popup windows telling you about things you have no interest in? Windows that pop up in your browser regardless of what website you're on?

It seems these are the one type of pop-up that browser settings, ad blockers, etc. can't prevent.

Thanks.
Tom M.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My thinking is along with you. I remain very picky about websites. My wife on the other hand, searches sewing sites and in the process all I hear is, "so many pop ups". She has locked up 2 laptops already. The 3rd one has more security and has lasted her longer than usual.

Country flag
Yep, that's what you get, some form of popup from the website with whatever they think you might want to see. I always hit deny or no thanks or whatever means that. Some though have started not giving the option to get in if you say no, you either agree or get blocked.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you install the Brave Browser you eliminate many popups and junk sites automatically. Easily trainable to except any sites you want. I think Google Chrome is about the worst for popups. :rolleyes2:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not just popups but push notifications. My windows 10 has messages that tell me the computer has scanned itself and has no viruses. I also get push notifications from google calendar of upcoming appointments - but that is about it.

OTOH I do get push notifications on my phone from Little Caesars to tell me I can pick up the pizza I just ordered. :smile: