• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fried rice

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great message!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I like fried rice, throw a little rice in the pan, an egg, some soy sauce, a few delectable shrimp, and some veggies and you have a meal.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
While on my fourth year as a USAF photog, I was stationed in Thailand. Taught to make Thai fried rice (and noodle soup) by a lady who had a "restaurant" on base. The Thai on-base workers were her primary customers, most of the military folks wouldn't frequent the place for fear of (insert xenophobic reason here) silliness. I ate lunch there daily, would wolf down a bowl of her noodle soup or fried rice and she would just grin and offer more. After a month or so, she would show me her methods and ingredients, making the recipes to suit the workers' taste: spicy-hot, "pet mach" in Thai. And given the chance I'd eat my way across Thailand today.

Learned to use chopsticks there, can clean out a bowl of fried rice with 'em down to the last kernel, too. We make it here on a regular basis. I use "Mama-san's" recipe, dice up whatever meat left over from the grill-up from last evening's meal. Substitute red pepper flakes for the Thai peppers. "Comfort food" for sure.

Lived off base, went to the local markets for food. One of the local vendor's goods:

shellfish.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Speaking of rice, I made risotto last week. Arborio rice. Didn't use mushrooms or anything other than a lot of shaved Locatelli Romano cheese, salt, pepper and chicken stock. And - a couple of nights ago, we took out 1/2 Chicken a la Brasa and yellow rice from a local Peruvian restaurant. We have 3 or 4 in the area. And - I take a couple of spoonfuls of Trader Joe's rice pudding to wash down my 6 pills at night. End of rice.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I worked in Thailand some years ago. I would often ate street food with no ill effects unlike burgers at the European hotel restaurant we would eat at sometimes. I remember one Thai seafood restaurant that was linked to a seafood market. You got your fish in the market then got the chef to cook it in the restaurant. We would recruit a waiter to help us with the fish selection.

David

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was station in Thailand also 1969 1970 up country US Army at a USAF base. Vender cart fried rice in a leaf coke in a plastic bag with ice and straw and rubber band. Hamm's beer $ 2.40 a case at PX. 1967 to 1969 did Nam then 9 days travel to Thailand for another year. Not the best duty there but did not get shot at as much. Madflyer

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I was station in Thailand also 1969 1970 up country US Army at a USAF base. Vender cart fried rice in a leaf coke in a plastic bag with ice and straw and rubber band. Hamm's beer $ 2.40 a case at PX. 1967 to 1969 did Nam then 9 days travel to Thailand for another year. Not the best duty there but did not get shot at as much. Madflyer

Nakon Phanom? Did a TDY job there in late '73, went through a mortar attack from across the river. Also did the infamous bus ride into "town" for a dinner with some pals.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My son lived in Bangkok for over a year. His wife was still in Hong Kong. He loved the food. We have only one Thai restaurant here in town - menu never changes but prices creep up.