• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Car Admirer - Jaguar E-Type Owner

VooDooDaddy63

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi All,
I recently inherited my mother’s 50-year-old Jaguar E-Type and am contemplating some TBD level of restoration. The car has suffered many years of neglect and minor abuse. (I fear that the corrosion issues may be the deal-breaker.) Currently, I’m just poking around the edges trying to assess the situation.

Anyway, I had some trouble adjusting the passenger seat’s forward/back position and thought I would remove the bucket seat to see where the issue lies. Whilst looking for advice on how to do this, I stumbled onto this site. (By the way, the information was most useful. I’m grateful.)

5F26BFF9-E09D-4FA4-AA3E-E1D162FB4B8C.jpg

My previous restoration effort was a 1965 Vespa 150 (VBB). I was quite pleased with how it turned out, but as you can see from the photos below, it’s not stock. This drew a fair amount of nasty scorn from purist trolls on the Vespa forums, when I went to sell it. Anyway, I’m hoping that the members of this forum are more respectful.

A5A53036-A6D2-40AA-98EC-D806423A703F.jpg 16A515C5-A679-4E9F-BD88-DBFA8D160E3D.jpg

Attachments

• 68183A2F-67DB-47F7-AEE0-E8EC83912670.jpg
    68183A2F-67DB-47F7-AEE0-E8EC83912670.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 27
  • A7B12BC0-F437-4F81-9555-9BACB7832BE2.jpg
    A7B12BC0-F437-4F81-9555-9BACB7832BE2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 70AC68C5-7C86-4764-9C03-63453440DE0B.jpg
    70AC68C5-7C86-4764-9C03-63453440DE0B.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 23

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Daddy You have the most Beautiful car ever made. I am TR 6 guy and have driven a few E types cost are not cheep but all parts can be found. There should be no question as to what can be repaired or replaced. Depending on how far you want to go with the work it is worth every penny in driving the car or selling it. A Jag Club is a good place to start so find your kind. I live over the hill in Reno and our Jag club has great information. Look up Reno jag club and Mike Johnson for more info. Madflyer

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF VooDoo. I'll echo Madflyer - you have the most beautiful car ever made. I may be biased of course - I have a 67 E-Type roadster.

OP
VooDooDaddy63

VooDooDaddy63

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the tips, Madflyer!
From my research, there’s no question that it can be restored. It’s a question of the depth of my pockets and my wife’s patience. (Yes. That old excuse.)
I visited Fernley back in the late ‘80’s. My best man briefly owned the 76 service station at “10 Main St.”. I just checked Google Maps. It looks like it’s “Motorcycle Mania” now.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
love the Vespa too - given that it was your mom's car, I would do the bare minimum to make it safe and driveable and keep the memories and the patina.

welcome!

OP
VooDooDaddy63

VooDooDaddy63

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks, Basil.
Those roadsters are beautiful. Mine is a 1970 series II. (An FHC as pictured in my post.) My mother bought it in 1972, when we were living in New Jersey. So, it’s been on the edge of my radar for most of my life.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello VooDooDaddy

Welcome to the forum.

The E Type is an iconic car design. Your one looks to be in good shape from the photos.

No scorn on this site.

You will get plenty of help and advice in the Jaguar section for your E Type project.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks, Basil.
Those roadsters are beautiful. Mine is a 1970 series II. (An FHC as pictured in my post.) My mother bought it in 1972, when we were living in New Jersey. So, it’s been on the edge of my radar for most of my life.

I actually think the Coupe is more beautiful than the Roadster.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I worked at a Jag shop, could only drive the coupes as the windshield top frame was at eye level. Until I found that the E-type V-12 had a better seat.

OP
VooDooDaddy63

VooDooDaddy63

Freshman Member
Country flag
Safety is definitely my top concern.
As for the patina, the car had been repainted twice since it was new.
(It was originally white).
So, I wasn’t concerned about preserving the color.
Should I be?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
No. Jags are good in all colors. Get the safety and running items in order, paint later if you do concours. As a driver, it is your call only. Maybe after the wife rides in it you'll get carte blanche!

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Daddy The old days of service station are long gone. It is a sometimes bike shop now. The Union GAS STATION is down the street. Fernley now has three signal lights and a roundabout across the tracks. Also a Golf course that I live at.

There is always something to be said for knowing the history of a car. Any papers and a pic of your mother with the car is a great point at shows. Basil got that right also. Of all the British cars I have driven the two I most wanted cars would be the Jag XK 120 first and the E Type pre V 12. second The Morgan +4 would be next. As I have had a number of TR's 4A 250 and now TR6 I guess I am a wine guy with a beer budget .
A price book would want you to believe the Roadster value was greater than the Coup, be dammed them you got this. Madflyer