• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hershey Hill Climb

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I stumbled on these this morning - So much to love here.

In the first video, I am fascinated as much by the parking lot (remembering too that people drove there - drove - and drove home)

Rarely in the early 60's in the USofA would you see so many foreign cars in one parking lot - making me realize how different a world sports car driving would have been in those days. (Interestingly in the earlier videos, the only domestic breed is Corvette making me think they were more sports car than muscle car in people's eyes - and Muscle cars were only just being invented in 1964)

At any rate, enjoy the simplicity and even the colour of the film.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I’ve been there many times as it’s very close to where I live. Lots of vintage cars to see.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
One of our forum brethren used to run it all the time

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Very enjoyable, thanks JP. I wonder if any of the spectators ever were injured, no way they could be that close to the course now days. Also would have loved if it would have had sound. And finally - white walls!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
My first Hershey Hillclimb was 1965, from then I didn't miss one until the Hershey Hotel pulled the plug after the fall 1970 climb. The course was the backroad leading up to the hotel. There were two climbs held a year (Spring & Fall) hosted by the Appalachian Sports Car Club and part of the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association. As many as 200 entrants and 10,000 spectators. It was absolutely wonderful. The tree lined course was pretty safe for the fans...not so much for cars and drivers (worst injury I recall was a broken leg). Back then, Corvettes were definitely considered as the high powered competition in SCCA A & B production for the Cobras. Guess I should also add this road is less than 4 miles from my home.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
From 2008 to 2019 the hillclimb returned. Now named The Ascent, it was held in conjunction with the concours, The Elegance. No classes but runs were timed. Luminaries like Chasing Classic Cars', Wayne Carini (his TR4) brought vehicles. Even though it was more for fun and nostalgia, drivers being drivers made hard runs.

277755EC-1005-41BD-8B1A-C35B965F59D1_zps7fp9nvm8.jpg

Attachments

• FCD6376D-5CE9-4565-80D5-958D04A6C8DB_zps9nhpwdnw.jpg
    FCD6376D-5CE9-4565-80D5-958D04A6C8DB_zps9nhpwdnw.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 32

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Most entertaining! Wonder how many of those machines have survived.

In the mid and late fifties the parents attended the Cumberland events. I got to go with them only once, in '59. There are 8MM movies ~someplace~ but I've no idea where. Some of the folks who raced there went on to become well known. Some regionally, a couple, internationally.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Brought back memories. I have some 16mm footage of races from several airport races from the late 1950s. Maybe I can get them posted here. Ferraris, Scarabs, Sadler Special, etc.

Country flag
Where might someone find the participant list for these? There's a chance - a chance - the Mercedes Gullwing in the 1960 event was my Dad. I know he owned one about then and was a big fan of the Hillclimb. He took me once when I was 6-7? That would have been 69 or 70.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Where might someone find the participant list for these? There's a chance - a chance - the Mercedes Gullwing in the 1960 event was my Dad. I know he owned one about then and was a big fan of the Hillclimb. He took me once when I was 6-7? That would have been 69 or 70.
This might help...It's the website of the Pa Hillclimb Association. Click on "AllTime Competitor List"...it's a pdf showing names of who participated.

http://pahillclimb.org/pha-past-results/

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I see a few names on that list I recognize. Doc Wyllie and wife Peg, as two. He worked for Gulf Research in Pittsburgh, had a Mini faster than blazes in the later years. A lot of the other drivers considered him a bit arrogant, called him "Doctor God".

Missed a pal of dad's, guy named Pete Sachs. T-Series in the early fifties, a bit later a Jag XK-120. Rides in those things as a kid seem to have influenced me somewhat. <BEFG>

Pete worked in the lab with dad. In the late fifties he sold the Jag, bought a Rambler station wagon and a scintillation counter, struck out to the northwest to hunt uranium. Not heard from after that.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Only recognized one name from the old days - Gerry Storch. Ran a TD as I recall. I didn't know him personally. I only ran two hillclimbs in the Tr3 - Cloudbank (O. Rundle Gilbert's driveway overlooking the Hudson River just north of the Bear Mountain Bridge) and Belknap/Laconia New Hampshire. Cloudbank was dirt, lined with huge boulders. Fearing for the safety of my only ride, I *****footed up the track and finished well out of the money. My friend Jim Silberman took first in his Alfa Veloce - and met his future wife Audrey. Belknap - took 3rd in Class. Jim won his class and Bart Levenson was 2nd in his Alfa. First, second and third. There's a picture of us holding up fingers 1,2 and 3 somewhere. Ah to be 23 years old. I only wish I knew then what I know now...