• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

moms now vs moms then

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
fc3192ba-d1ec-4617-85bc-d1ff443f60fa-jpeg.1717197

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And the one my mom used..... "if you miss the school bus you'll have to walk to school" :nightmare:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Wow, Moms then pretty much hits the nail on the head! No Twinkies though.:crushed:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
my mom beat me with my own belt once. I was astounded at how fast she whipped it off of me just to whip me with it.

Country flag
I determined when I was young that as the eldest I was the one my parents had to experiment on to decide if they wanted to have kids...

Actually, as the eldest I was the one who was first at everything so on the tighter leash. My mom would go to bed around 9pm, yet if I was out for a school activity or such, she'd find she wasn't yet tired and would be sitting there when I got home. When my youngest brother, 14 years younger, was going through school it was more if a "lock the door behind you when you get home and try not to kill yourself before then" when doing school plays or band or such...

Imagine when I graduated college and for my first job moved 2600 miles away..

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My mom always asked "What we would like for breakfast? We got oat meal."

There is a woamn that sings momisms to the tune of "William Tell Overture." The line that gets applause is the phrase, "Stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
As grade schoolers we would go trick or treating by ourselves - no parents in sight - and we would literally walk all over our town and be back when our bags were too full to fit any more candy.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Our mom was the Drill Sergeant in the house. Meals scheduled, beds made with hospital corners, etc. If not done correctly we'd hear: "You wait 'til the Army gets ahold of your a$$!" We were in a mostly rural area and were free-ranging for the most part. Dad found a good sized cast iron bell, hung it near the back porch. If mom rang that bell, we were expected to hear it and come running, no matter where we were. She'd a great sense of humor though, too. Told us she read where we were supposed to ingest a bushel's worth of dirt before we were adults... then tell us to go outside and play in the dirt. She played piano and had a singing voice to rival Linda Ronstadt. We had to endure piano lessons, younger brother took to it, I was more the visual arts type.

Fond memories, indeed.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
You think times are bad now - wait twenty years when our country’s leaders will have been home-schooled by day-drinkers!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Dad found a good sized cast iron bell, hung it near the back porch. If mom rang that bell, we were expected to hear it and come running, no matter where we were.

We had a bell as well; you better be at the table ASAP, with clean hands, when it rang!

While my mom didn’t play the piano, she sang well (not quite like Linda Ronstadt), and the love was always present.

As a present-day parent, I fall between the two columns. I avoid Twinkies and beatings, but beds must be made and you eat what’s given to you. (The cakes we bake together obliterate Twinkies!)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We had a bell as well; you better be at the table ASAP, with clean hands, when it rang!

While my mom didn’t play the piano, she sang well (not quite like Linda Ronstadt), and the love was always present.

As a present-day parent, I fall between the two columns. I avoid Twinkies and beatings, but beds must be made and you eat what’s given to you. (The cakes we bake together obliterate Twinkies!)

Yep, never got Twinkies, rare occasions for any soda drinks as well. Our mom was an early adopter of "Prevention Magazine", sugar was an enemy. We had a BIG garden, canned a lot of food for the winters. My maternal side were Italian immigrants, mom being first gen American born and eldest of six. Grew up on a farm and kept a lot of the habits of that lifestyle. We certainly had no meal menu, you ate what was prepped, and cleaned the plate. Be sat at the supper table at five sharp or go hungry. It was the "kids in China" who were starving at our house. :wink:

No progeny here, some call us 'selfish', other call us 'smart'. Not sure whether either is totally correct.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
So true, so different these days. The first sports car I remember seeing was a Triumph TR3 parked in a neighbor's yard down around the corner. I would wake up before everybody else in the summer and go roam the neighborhood. I remember doing that in the early days of summer when mornings we're just barely warm and loving it.

Walked to grade school with my sister, starting in first grade, she was in third, by ourselves, including crossing a busy street.

Yes, in the summer the rule was go out and play until it got dark, with breaks for meals and snacks (my favorite memories are summer vacations as a kid). The one good thing about Covid, last spring and summer, lots of kids out doing unsupervised play in their yards, always made me smile.

Mom made one meal for everybody, and everybody ate it, though I griped about having to eat my vegetables, soggy from a can, still don't like them much.

In this day and age some of these practices might be considered poor parenting or neglectful, my parents were both wonderful involved loving always and stern when needed and I had a great childhood.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My mother's starving kids were in Europe. When she said "people are starving in Europe" I should have said "Name two". If I asked for something else for dinner: "This isn't a restaurant!". My mom was a lousy cook, but even if she was good, my father always complained. We once had a live-in maid from the South, a large black woman named Hotsy. Boy could she make fried chicken and biscuits. She would shuffle in with a steaming plateful of hot biscuits and honey and butter were already on the table. Sure was a lot better than my mothers baked lima bean casserole, burnt to a crisp-just the way my father liked it - the way his mother made it. It was inedible. Ugh.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A number of the right column fit my childhood.

My formative years were in the extreme south of Ireland in a small rural village. My father worked for the Commercial Cable Company so we lived in company housing. Less than half a mile to the beach and the village. School was a 3 room building with 3 classes per room with one teacher in each room. A lot of the local kids would come to school with bare feet. Shoes were expensive so they had to be saved for church on Sunday.
The village had 2 cobblers who made most of the locals shoes. We were posh so we had Store bought shoes but did take them to get repaired when they were worn out.
I would spend most of my time on the beach exploring, trying to build rafts so we could get to the tiny island in the bay or collecting winkles (small sea snails) to cook over a fire on the beach. Yes an seven year old had matches and a pocket knife.
Would get sent to the village on my own for bread or milk.
Supper menu was whatever was placed on the table in front of you.

It was a great life.

David

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I might add to that the school had no discipline problems and notes to the parents was not a thing.

The teachers dealt with any problem as it occurred and your parents would have heard about it before you got home. This was in the days before social media. Word got home faster than you did.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
David said:
The teachers dealt with any problem as it occurred and your parents would have heard about it before you got home. This was in the days before social media. Word got home faster than you did.

mehheh. I can relate, David. Our dad served as the president of the local school board as we were going through grade school, he was pals with the principal. Five family members enrolled then; younger brother and three girl cousins. If one of us stepped out of line, it was only once! We were expected "to set an example".

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Except for the Twinkies and Hawaiian Punch, it all sounds familiar.

When my MIL would tell my wife "There are starving children in China." she would tell her that her eating her dinner wouldn't make any difference to the kids in China.