Thread: BJ8: Upper Trunnion Rebuild (Of Continuum)

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

BJ8: Upper Trunnion Rebuild (Of Continuum)

Dear Forum,

A few months ago, I posted a topic here about rebuilding my front upper lever shocks. Very soon after that time, I decided to ship them out for a rebuild. Everything worked out great with the shocks, of course.

The reason I labeled the above, "Of Continuum" is because the upper trunnion bushings I rebuilt myself and was done around the same time the shocks went back into the Healey. Different subject, but somewhat related and was done together.

And finally, moving forward, I want to share my completed record of what I had done, just to seek any additional thoughts or comments for future.

By the way, my approach to doing this rebuild was, of course, limited to the tools and equipment I had available to me. Thus, the reason for my notes on the removal process used. Naturally, the better the equipment, the easier the operation.

Aside from that, I accomplished what I wanted to do. One way, anyway.

Just curious to know if there are other thoughts or ideas that should be considered for future, especially on the subject of trunnion/bushing rebuilding.

Thank you all in advance!

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pkmh; 10-01-2020 at 01:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pkmh For This Useful Post:

steveg  (09-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Re: BJ8: Upper Trunnion Rebuild (Of Continuum)

Did you use the upgrade upper trunnion bearing or just the standard bronze washer ?
    Im thinking of trying the bearings out on my next restoration.
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I have the torrington bearings on my BJ8. They reduce turning effort a little, which helps because I have 6" rims and 'fat' tires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Healey Nut,

Thanks for asking. No, I did not upgrade the trunnion. At least not yet. I do have replacement parts, short of the swivel pin. Will need to confirm material type later (I ordered the "Kit" from Moss some years ago consisting of washers, springs and what have you--all in storage). I recently ordered and now have a "Brake Cylinder Hone" bit from NAPA when I do ream out the inside diameter of the trunnions. Doing my front end has been slow going, to say the least. I was planning on doing the lower bushings next, hopefully this fall.

When I get a bit more 'confident', then the trunnions themselves (if they need it). I feel the need to study that area better before proceeding only because I do not want to compromise my wheel settings (i.e.- camber, caster, swivel pin inclination). Ok, I understand from the manual these "settings are not adjustable" and that "the settings were determined by the machining and assembly of the component parts during manufacture." Still, I want to record, as installed, before dismantling. This will have to come later for me.

I hope this makes sense. Yes?

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I just finished this job with the bearings and adjustable camber settings. You will have to take off the arm of the shock to fit the trunnions. This is not hard and goes back on pretty easy. This is the second car I have done with the bearings and adjustable camber. I think it is an improvement, but it is hard to tell since I never drove either car prior to the rebuild. Both cars were all torn apart when I bought them.
    Jerry

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I also highly recommend Torrington bearings.
    They're like poor man's power steering.
    Good luck.
    Douglas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Ok, Jerry, thanks for that. You say "adjustable camber." Did the Healeys come with "fixed cambers?" The manual seems to indicate that. I must admit, this is an area I am still new in knowing all there is to know (But I will figure it out, eventually).

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkmh View Post
    Ok, Jerry, thanks for that. You say "adjustable camber." Did the Healeys come with "fixed cambers?"...
    Fixed camber AND caster. Mods include offset trunnion bushes, adjustable plates (Kilmartin) or plate inserts (Tom's Import Toys). I have the Kilmartin plates on my BN2 and the inserts (to be installed) for my BJ8. I just bought an alignment measuring kit; I'm going to experiment with the BN2--which has a heavy 'turn-in' effort--and then do the BJ8. Neither the bushings or plates allow for caster adjustment, but I plan to widen the shock bolt slots on the BJ8 to allow for a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Bob,

You seem to know your stuff. Thanks for mentioning about the alignment measuring kit. I will have to look into that. And good luck with your quest.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Thanks, but actually I don't know much about suspension and its real-world effects, but I've always been curious. I got a smaller diameter steering wheel for the BN2 and, of course, that increased steering effort. I've only driven one 100, mine, but I think this car should be more maneuverable. This is the alignment kit I ordered (their PayPal interface was broken but I found them on eBay):

https://www.wheelalignmenttools.com/...gnment-system/