• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Time to circle back around

OldDad

Freshman Member
Hi all,

Harry (aka OldDad) here.

I recently retired and am looking for a "new" hobby. Back in the late 60's/early 70's I owned a '59 Triumph TR3A which was bone stock and one of the cooler cars in my high school parking lot. That car was sold ( I was a bit of a horse trader back then ) and was replaced by a hot rod '54 Austin Healey ( my Dad helped me shoehorn a Ford 302 into it! ) I stored that car at a friends barn while I was away in the Army. Unfortunately while I was gone the barn burnt to the ground along with the car!

After I returned to the U.S. I got into various Harleys and hot rods/customs, my current bike is a 1956 FLH Panhead bobber which I built from the ground up ( except for the motor work ). However after an accident last month I have come to to conclusion that I live in an area where it is just too congested to ride safely. Between that and the fact that my wife no longer really enjoys riding and the Harley will be going up for sale in the spring, but in the meantime I need to find a new way to spend my free time ;)

I am currently strongly considering another TR3 or possibly an MG-T series car. Both appeal to me at different levels and it looks as though I can get into an entry level car for a reasonable entry fee.

Skill wise I am a good mechanic and a decent paint & body man although my fine welding skills are pretty much gone. I have a full set of mechanics tools in Metric and SAE sizes and have never met a tool I didn't love, lol. I spent part of my life designing and building custom homes so wood work is an old friend as well.

That is about it, my plan is to read everything I can on the two cars ( and any others that pop up ). I have a pretty good idea performance wise what is what and just that factor leans me toward the TR3. Having said that the body style of the MG-T cars is pretty darn attractive. My real concern is support, both parts availability and knowledge.

Well thank you all for having me and here's to lots of good discussions.

Best regards,
Harry

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I would say, find a friend who has both cars and drive them today. As we get older, they don't fit quite as well! I have a TR3 and a Healey and the Healey is more comfortable. Both are easy to work on. I have worked on a TD and have a 1936 Morris 8 which is similar. The Morris 8 is not a car that you want to drive on the freeway. The TDs have more HP and can probably keep up on the freeway.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to the forum, Harry! You'll find lots of good info and opinions to help you with your decision!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Harry

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Triumph section for TR3 information. Then there is the MG section for TD info. They are both great choices but I am biased to the TR3.

The Pub is an area where almost anything comes up for discussion.

David