• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tool Restoration

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Now here's a project! German ratchet screwdriver.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Quite the effort!

Though surprised at his lack of penetrant, cutting oil, lubricant etc.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I just loved the detail and only the sounds of the work. Nice to have all those machinist tools. Never seen a ball being made.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, admittedly lots of talented craftsmanship but my question is: Why spend all that time to restore a ratchet screwdriver?
While I appreciate the effort, I don't see why it's worthy of a meticulous restoration.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OK, admittedly lots of talented craftsmanship but my question is: Why spend all that time to restore a ratchet screwdriver?
While I appreciate the effort, I don't see why it's worthy of a meticulous restoration.

What?! Are you serious? :highly_amused: OK, if this must be explained, it shouldn't be. :cool:

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hes gotta be single... if not before starting that restoration, he was when he told his ole lady how long he spent restoring a screwdriver.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
While I concur with Elliott - I doubt I have the patience to do this, I immensely respect the craftsmanship. Also - the finished tool seems unique; can you get a ratcheting screwdriver with a lever handle (and a non-rotating wooden handle) like that today?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think I'd have just displayed the one in the vid, un-restored. Interesting conversation piece.

No idea what I spent on it, been with me more than a couple decades. Same function, minus "leverage" capability but makes a useful "traveling companion":

ratchetdriver1.jpg