• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Windshield glass

Bob Branson

Country flag
My cheapness is showing, but I don't want to outsmart myself (again!) So...does anyone have experience with the windscreen glass for an MGA roadster from Victoria British? It's $300 less than Moss Motors Pilkington glass. But if it doesn't fit properly, I don't want it an any price. TIA.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Use caution when buying from Vic Brit! I bought a windscreen from them for an MGB and the glass was thinner than original and it cracked after a couple weeks of use! I then bought one from Moss of the original thickness and quality 13 years ago and to my knowledge it's still in the car today, I sold the car 3 years ago. Nothing I've ever bought from Vic Brit was close to the originals quality! Reason I don't buy from them anymore. I can't afford to constantly replace their junk parts!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pilkington is equal to original. That is all I buy for British cars. Bought a whole Jag MK1 for spares, had brand new Pilkington in all the doors, front and back windscreens. $2200 for the whole thing, glass alone would have cost that much.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul said:
Nothing I've ever bought from Vic Brit was close to the originals quality! Reason I don't buy from them anymore. I can't afford to constantly replace their junk parts!

:iagree:

VB/LMC have deteriorated over the last few decades; window rubber turns to goo, chrome trim parts don't fit properly, the list is long. Save the aggro and go with another vendor.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Parts from order houses is on a descending trend here in the states. I have been ordering thru ebay.uk and parts sellers in the UK. Especially metal panels, I ordered direct from the manufacturer and saved 30% in costs including shipping. As here you order a panel, takes 4 months to get plus shipping on each. Bought bulk ( all panels at once ) received all in 4 weeks and the weight made a $400 ship + import of $100, but saved drastically from ordering local. Now have a rolodex with parts, interior and engine items from England.

OP
B

Bob Branson

Country flag
I reached out to Richard Tankel who used to run ProSource International...but has since left business. He mentioned "an MG place in Florida" he used to sell to. It's a big state, and a long shot, but does anyone on here have a guess who he could mean? He didn't remember a name.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I replaced the Vic Brit glass with a Triplex from Moss, they are not cheap, but they represent the original glass quality and fit. Just my 2 cents. PJ

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Careful with windshield glass. Remember the episode of Fantom Works where they were working on a Morgan windshield and it shattered because it was the wrong kind of glass - tempered? Make sure its the right kind of glass. Your face will thank you.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yep, they were sold tempered glass, supposed to be laminated.

OP
B

Bob Branson

Country flag
UPDATE: Moss was backordered on windscreen glass for $419, and Pilkington couldn't find a part listing, so I took a chance for $119 on Victoria British glass. Pleasantly surprised! It's a full 1/4" thick. laminated, fits well with no gaps. It was very well packed. But don't bother with Vic Brit's windscreen packing material. It's thin foam, not solid vinyl like Moss sells. Thanks to all who volunteered info.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The nature of windshield material and manufacture is now a legal regulation one, so my WAG is the spec's dictate what can now be legally sold. Pleased to hear the V-B one fits correctly, Bob. Thanks for the info.

There was a time where almost all the MGB windshield glass from one manufacturer was made with a "wave" running across it, distorting the view forward. Disconcerting. I don't recall which supplier/manufacturer that was but those were spread around in the mid-eighties and about all you could get here in th' North American Colonies.