• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A General exhaust questions

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have the twin exhaust system on my 65 TR4A IRS. The car has about 85,000 miles on it. The rear mufflers do not match. So I have been trying to read threads about replacements. One I am strongly considering is the Bell stainless system. But I do have some questions 1) Are stainless systems tinny sounding? (a couple of posters said so). Are they any different in overall sound level? 2) Some posts recommended just going to the local exhaust place and putting "Cherry Bomb" type mufflers on. How does that sound? 3) What happens if you remove the silencer under the passenger seat? How much louder and does it sound better without it? Is there a TR6 part that you can use to eliminate this muffler? (Someone seemed to indicate so). I would not mind a little more sports car sound but don't want to shout at my wife at highway speeds as I understand the Monza and some other systems require. Thanks Bruce

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've had a stainless steel system on my TR6 for about 20 years now. Sounds good to me. Not tinny at all. Should be fine on a 4-cylinder TR3 or TR4. However, when I had a TR3 back in the day, I installed a Smithy's muffler and got a deep sounding exhaust. Better than the stock system.

James Christie

Freshman Member
Country flag
Go for the stainless system every time. It will be a bit tinny initially but once sooted up it’s fine. How long is dependent on the state of engine and carbs!
Mine is a single line 3A but I believe converting your twin system to single will give you a bit more grunt.

james

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I saw someone mentioned Smithy's but I think I remember he said they were not made anymore but they sounded good. If a local shop could put them on and match the tailpipes to the correct bend then what I have now would work. If it made a better sound without being much louder then that would be a bonus. James - I want to stay with the unique look of the twins. Bruce

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
My TR3 had only one muffler (straight thru) and boy was it loud. I added a Monza-type twin tip to it thinking that would help and look nice. It does look nice - still too loud. I found motorcycle exhaust baffles to work great. I bought mine from the Dennis Kirk company. The image below is a $4 special from the folks that sometimes deliver in 3 days. You just need to be able to get to an open pipe area and screw it to the pipe. Mine is at the twin tip connection. My son's TR6 has a twin stainless exhaust with the upswept pipes in the back - sounds and looks sweet.
Good luck.

s-l640.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I wrote a long answer, I guess it didn't post. I have messed around a lot with my old TR4A and TR250 exhausts, so I have a little bit of experience.

First stay with the dual exhaust, definitely a better look!

Two cherry bombs or bullet style mufflers in back will be super loud. If you add the middle exhaust to the system it will make quite a bit of difference but still be louder than stock, and noticeable sound without being obnoxious.

I have the Falcon stainless steel system back to the dual mufflers, I had a shop put in some Thrush "Turbo" mufflers, I guess cause it saved me a lot of money. Got kind of a deep V-8 instead of a sports car snarl. I added some very short bullet mufflers before the back mufflers and like the sound now. I would not recommend doing it my way, the fit is tight, too many mufflers and weight.

Would have been better to buy the full Falcon, but you can also putz around with local home-brewed options to get just the sound you want.

Lastly had the Monza two muffler 4 tip on my 4A. My version just had the two rear mufflers. Very loud, I have seen newer ones with what looks like glasspacks built in to the system, they may be a little more mellow.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My TR3A has 2 SS mufflers that are straight through. Probable from TRF as that is where the PO got most of his parts. It is very quiet. The TR2 I had in the UK had a standard Triumph exhaust. Only one muffler and it was not quiet.

David

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ok guys from what I am hearing I think I will go with a new SS system. Sounds like there may be too much chance of ending up with a system that might be louder than I want if I go other routes. That will keep me original and that is worth something and SS won't require replacing. I have to factor in my wife and what she would tolerate ( probably not much). To buy two replacement mufflers from the big suppliers costs alot, I can get the whole SS system for not that much more and I don't even know what condition my muffler under the seat is in. The Bell system is reasonably priced. Why does a four cylinder car with two rear mufflers need that muffler? Bruce

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Smittys are available from Summit and Red's among others. Although I have read that they are now from an offshore supplier. I'm hesitant to replace mine as the current sound is "perfect" however they are getting worn.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
My 74 TR6 had cherry bomb type glass packs when I bought it.
Cormae could hear me coming when I turned off the highway onto our road one mile away.
Remembering from when I rode a bike, what baffles do to keep from getting a straight pipes ticket I made some for the TR6.
After that I could get within 1/2 mile of the house before she heard me. BTW, I think the added back pressure increased the torque a bit, too
Glass pack 2.jpg
Glass pack.jpg
After I posted, I remembered that I removed the homemade baffles and went with these that I found on ebay:
100_0480.jpg

Last edited:

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
There are lots of options out there, I've usually opted to go to a muffler shop that uses stainless tubing and had a exhaust system made. You can use a larger diameter pipe than stock and use Flowmaster/Magnafow mufflers (with lots of noise options). I started with Pacesetter/Monza twin mufflers, but, they were too loud and they hurt horsepower when the car was on the dyno. I'm currently running stainless tubing with a Magnaflow muffler and a single pipe in 2.5 inch diameter with a twin resonator tip. You won't need 2.5 inch diameter unless your running a lot more horsepower.

Exhaust twin monza.jpgExhaust 2.5.jpg

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I also did the Monza system but I aged out of them and went back to stock twin pipe from TRF all stock Made in the UK, The shop that I used said great fit out of the box. not SS and 15 years still in good shape . As most of my driving is long road trips. Quite is best on long rides. Stock pipes no headers. I also used the strap clamps from Summit instead of U clamps Madflyer

Last edited:

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Never understood why our TR's were fitted with twin pipes.
Single SS system for me.
Take the car to your local exhaust shop for a custom fit.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I appreciate all the responses. It seems to be a mixed bag judging from the responses. Everybody that had original seemed happy. If you modify the original set up you may or may not be happy from what I am hearing. Because I was just thinking of only a slight more sound I believe I just need to go back to a original system to insure I get something I can live with. Everybody's input was useful. Thanks Bruce

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi
Hope I am not too late to the party. My '66 TR4A originally came with the twin exhausts. During restoration, the PO installed the single TR4A system but, with the TR250 muffler. I believe it is acknowledged that the single system is cheaper, simpler and, actually, flows better than the factory twin. Mild steel - not stainless. Been on the car 20 years and 15K miles. Still going strong and not rusted out. Love the sound. Not loud but, has a nice deep, roarty tone. I would absolutely replace it with the same again.

Bob
PS: The TR250 muffler has two tailpipes exiting the left side vs. the TR4A muffler with one tailpipe exiting the left side. Direct swap. I think the PO went with the TR250 muffler only b/c it was a fair bit cheaper.