• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Big Bird

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Out for my morning constitutional with the doggy and saw this beauty sitting on a tree stump. Big Hawk. Had my good camera with a good lens. (Note the full sized images are much clearer - reducing the size impacted the quality)

Hawk-0005 copy.jpg

Hawk-0007 copy.jpg
Hawk-0012 copy.jpg
Hawk-0017 copy.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great!

It's really neat when something like that happens in front of the lens.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great set of photos Bas.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I live on the edge of a golf course last row of houses with 14 to 18 holes out my back yard. The birds at my feeder leave, there is usually a bird of pray over head. Some times one will sit on my iron fence never have a camera ready. Nice pic. Madflyer

Basil I can not seem to get a picture posted on my profile I tried URL and from PC Can you send tips Madflyer

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil I can not seem to get a picture posted on my profile I tried URL and from PC Can you send tips Madflyer

If you mean the Avatar (picture that shows up under your user name when you post), the maxx height and width is 100 pixels H and 100 pixels W. Also, the max file size is 20k bytes.

Hope this helps.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like an immature western Red-Tailed Hawk. No red tail yet. Commonest hawk in US. Many varieties. Here's one in my yard with a Gray Squirrel as victim.Red-Tail and victim.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I'm looking in Sibley - my Bible. Ferruginous chest is mostly white and bill is larger. Immature Red-Tails have large brown belly band - like this hawk. I've never seen a Ferruginous so I have to rely on the book descriptions and pictures. Red Tails are pretty big too. Only a couple of inches smaller than the Ferruginous. I suggest you refer the ID to your local Audubon Society ebird experts. Let me know what you find out.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great photo of a magnificent bird. We on the back porch a few days ago and a coujple of maybe Harris hawks were checking the area. We called our little dog to us for a while.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I'm looking in Sibley - my Bible. Ferruginous chest is mostly white and bill is larger. Immature Red-Tails have large brown belly band - like this hawk. I've never seen a Ferruginous so I have to rely on the book descriptions and pictures. Red Tails are pretty big too. Only a couple of inches smaller than the Ferruginous. I suggest you refer the ID to your local Audubon Society ebird experts. Let me know what you find out.

You may be right, but we have Red Tails all over around here and this is much bigger than any I've seen to date. The picture doesn't do it justice.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Post your picture on Arizona Ebird and ask for an ID. I'm curious. I checked out the site. They see a lot of our Eastern birds out there plus a lot of unusual Hummingbirds.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's coloration makes me think of a juvenile redtail but it's size is in line with a ferruginous hawk and it's coloration is definitely not in line with an adult redtail. I'm 80% sure it's a ferruginous.