• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Diagnosed with the Healey fever

ejws

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi all,

Long time ago, I decided to follow my dream of buying an Austin Healey. The budget was not huge but large enough to find one that was running great and looked fine to me. With absolutely no knowledge of mechanics, I started to cruise around in my neighborhood. I had great fun and in most cases all went well. But sometimes the lord of darkness caught my tail: I had to ask for help to get the thing (BT7) back on the road again.

I didn't like my lack of technical knowledge and started to study the mechanics of BMC. I went back to school (Adult education) and learned to do basic repairs on Mg's, Triumphs and of course my Healey. After a while, I felt confident to start with more difficult repairs. And suddenly the car was completely disassembled. A new phase was started: Rebuild the perfect car. It took me 5 years of fun and I made a lot of friends. Finally, last summer I was satisfied with the result: A full black Austin Healey MK2.

Lots of attention have been paid to the details: Using as many original parts as possible, I still had to chase some... Original Lucas mirrors, Rainbow wipers, Lucas Switches from the correct year, etc. Car boot sales, garage sales, autojumbles, eBay, .. all help to find the stuff I needed.

Not every detail is rebuild according to the original spec. Sometimes I preferred safety and reliability and sometimes I didn't like the cosmetic choices from manufacturing. The rebuild process is well documented in word and image and I used many sources from the internet. Yo guys, I should say thank you to all of you. You have inspired and puzzled me many times!!!

Despite that I still want to improve some parts of my tri-cab BT7, I just have started another project.
I have taken care of a BJ8 that was completely dismantled after an accident some 10 years ago. Parts were scattered over several places and it appeared to be not as complete as I expected. But anyway, it will just be the start of a new chapter in my Healey passion.

Best Regards,
Erik

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Erik

Welcome to the forum.

The AH section will be a great source of tips and advice as you get the BJ8 back on the road. They will probable be able to help you source parts as well.

David

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Working on my 3rd big Healey that was puchased as a project. Taken apart by someone else and left for decades. I like the puzzle. Besides the usual sellers of parts, there are people on this list which have parts they sell so if you are missing something, just ask. Most parts are available.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for sharing a great story about your Healey passion! Glad to have you aboard and, as others have suggested, be sure to jump in at our Austin Healey forum here!