• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1966 AH BJ8 on eBay

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: 1966 ah bj *

Link is giving me opaque ceramics on eBay. Boy, did that BJ get apart and put together strange!:wink-new:

Keoke,

I researched the BJ* on eBay. Yep, it is all apart. The tranny is a center shift (I think). I do believe it is a BJ8. I also just noticed cutouts for placement of the additional markers. Phase II?

OP
Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last edited:

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag

Marvin, that is an understatement! Steve Byers, do you have this one in the BJ8 registry?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

There is a statement in there that they did not try to start the motor. Who would not try to start the motor, a running car is worth more?

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I particularly like the statement "minor rust showing in the typical dogleg areas...." - not much of an understatement there.

OP
Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Marvin, that is an understatement! Steve Byers, do you have this one in the BJ8 registry?

I doubt that Steve does , check with the closest Florida salvage yard.

But this one is GreaT! :

1964 AUSTIN-HEALEY 3000 ROADSTER

Last edited:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
If Tanner is passing on restoring this...
Something doesn't look right with both front amber lights. There should be two sets of lights on each side, one clear, one amber, and it does, but something looks off. I believe the amber should be on the outside, easy enough to swap the lens. Kinda seems like a 64 front end, one set of clear turn signals and the amber set was added. They seem not level with the clear lens, not on the same plane, aluminum is not stamped out around the lens. They are in the curved area and too near the grill.
FE7172BF-006A-4053-8D0A-1EF9F85E211A.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

The VIN provided in the listing (34154) can be found on another car as well. That car can be viewed here:
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Eve...I-BJ8-BJ8-PH-II-2And2-SPORTS-CONVERTIBL-15695

CAVEAT EMPTOR

The chassis plate on the $85k Barrett-Jackson car is hard to see, but it looks like a repro. It would be interesting to see the Heritage Cert. on this chassis number. Wonder if the motor number on the BJ car also matches the Heritage Cert. Both cars passed through Tanner's shop. The eBay listing says the red car's title is "clear" BJ doesn't sell cars without a title. Very curious. Steve Byers where are you? View attachment 65435

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I've emailed Steve B. with the thread ID. Hopefully we'll hear something from him.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If Tanner is passing on restoring this...

I heard 'through the grapevine'--so take with a huge grain of salt--that KT got out of the restoration business and only buys/sells now; anybody know for sure? I'd also heard that his father did most/all the body work on his projects, so maybe he retired (or worse)?

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
that KT got out of the restoration business and only buys/sells now;

I've heard similar things a few years back. His website 'changed' at about the same time.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[FONT=&quot]I have several friends around the world who keep their eyes open for mention of BJ8s on the internet (or that they come across, or know about) and send me links. I couldn't possibly have documented 9,474 BJ8s all by myself and I certainly appreciate their help. One of them notified me of "34154" on eBay in August. I had seen another "34154" offered for sale at Barrett-Jackson in 2006. The cars did not appear to be the same. The email exchange with my informant is below, but not in toto. I have not received any explanation from the seller beyond his initial response:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]"I’ll research this.
We purchased this car from the same seller we bought the other one from years ago that we restored. It might be a duplicate title."

He was going to scrub the shock tower to look for the original number for this car, but I haven't had a follow-up from him since.
[/FONT]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From me to my informant:

After looking at the additional photos on eBay , I see that the original VIN plate for 34154 is shown. So, the car sold as 34154 at Barrett-Jackson in 2006 did not have the original VIN plate, but either a replacement or the car was misidentified.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The car currently for sale is the same one offered for sale by someone in Denver, NC in Hemmings in June, and identified as HBJ8L/31895. You sent me a link to that sale on 24 June 2020. The photo shows the original engine serial plate for 31895, but the body plate was missing in June and I see it is still missing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steve
BJ8 Registry
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]----------------------------------------------------

From my informant to me:

Whoa, interesting development even more so b/c there are photos of both the firewall and engine tags.

If you will, please.keep me posted on any follow up.

------------------------------------------------------------ On Tue, Aug 25, 2020, 7:31 AM Max Byers <sbyers@ec.rr.com> wrote:

[FONT=&quot]I have just sent a message to the seller to point out that something isn’t quite right here. HBJ8L/34154 was sold at the Scottsdale Barrett-Jackson auction in 2006 for $84,700 and it was a Black car described as a “Kurt Tanner restoration” (I have photos and the description of the car from the offering). If that car was 34154, then this one can’t be. We’ll see what [the seller] says about that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

From my informant to me:
the front shroud makes me shudder!!

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am shocked, SHOCKED that someone would (possibly) counterfeit an Austin-Healey VIN plate (except for a '100M LeMans,' of course). OTOH, I am strangely heartened that there's still enough interest in our cars to make that crime (possibly) worthwhile.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am shocked, SHOCKED that someone would (possibly) counterfeit an Austin-Healey VIN plate (except for a '100M LeMans,' of course). OTOH, I am strangely heartened that there's still enough interest in our cars to make that crime (possibly) worthwhile.

It's too bad that the original VIN and body plates were attached to the firewall only with two small screws each. That makes it very easy to remove/misplace/lose them, re-create them, or install them on other cars they don't belong to (by mistake or intention, for whatever reason). After documenting and tracking BJ8s for the last 22 years, I can say that there are an incredible number of BJ8s (and, I'm sure, other models) running around now with scrambled identities and many owners aren't even aware of it. Some of them have been sold at well-known venues by well-known restorers with good reputations. I have been trying to spread the word that anyone who is interested in buying a BJ8 should check with the BJ8 Registry to see what information about it is available BEFORE buying it. It's better to know what you are buying up front before money is exchanged, rather than to be surprised later on. Of course, many people don't care about the integrity of a car and the "numbers" are not important to them, especially if the title agrees with the VIN plate. But are the plates original, and do they belong to THAT car?
A good part of my time as BJ8 Registrar has been spent trying to determine the true identities of cars that are discovered to be incorrect and (whenever possible) get them officially restored to what they should be. Sometimes that is relatively easy, or impossible, depending on the particular registration authority involved. Whenever the VIN of a car is not included in a sales description, I am always suspicious of the reason for the reluctance.