• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Water pump

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Not too long ago there was some discussion here about replacement water pumps. I think it was generated by the advertisement AH Spares put out about their new after market pump.

Yesterday I noticed some chirping at the front of the engine at idle. Couldn’t really tell if it was the alternator or the water pump. However, after the engine cooled down I grabbed opposing fan blades and found that I could rock the water pump pulley and fan back and forth ever so slightly. Not much at all mind you, but there is definitely movement. Pump is working just fine and no leaks but I fear the bushing is shot and that means that there is a new water pump in my future. The installed pump is a County pump not the original. If it was the original, I would ask M. Salter for a rebuild, but alas it is not. It is a press on, not secured by a nut.

So, what about the new AH Spares pump? I am aware of the fact that it has the odd combination of a sealed bushing (bearing?) while also providing a lubrication point. Has anyone actually purchased, installed and used one of these pumps? Everything fit just right? Pleased with the product?

Any other thoughts or suggestions. How long do you think I have before I am on life-support? Is this one of those noisy irritants that requires attention in 4-6 weeks or is it the type that suggests I should stop driving the car until I get it replaced?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Lin

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Lin,
Are you sure its a County pump? Not all of the OEM pumps have pulleys secured by a nut - some are/were press on. I don't remember the era breakdowns off the top of my head but I rebuilt mine a few months ago with bearings & seal I got from Michael Salter and mine is definitely a press on pully. His website has some detail info on identifying characteristics of the pumps - https://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?s=water+pump

I have no recent experience with new pumps. I suggest you look for an OEM and get parts from Michael - with his blog and parts, mine was really quite easy to rebuild (disclaimer - I'm still waiting for my block & head to come back from the machine shop so can't claim complete success with the water pump just yet :smile:).

Dave

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did you put some wax or bar soap on fan belt it might be glassed belt they also have water additives as pump lube. I would say find the problem and fix it, is 't most likely raining any way in FL I live in Nevada it never rains here so sour grapes on my part Madflyer

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lin :

Generally speaking if the part say's County it bound to fail'-LOL

However , my opinion is get it rebuilt by a known good USA rebuilder like White Post or talk to Healey surgeons . JMOP

Country flag
I agree with red 57. Find an old original and rebuild it. I have about 7 years on a Country pump so I carry the original rebuilt in the boot. If it is Country I believe it will say it on the "tube" that the hose connects to. Rather stupid on their part as it is raised lettering and I had to grind it flat the get the best hose fit.